ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4000 Revs

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quick question! My valver doesnt seem very quick until it hits 4000 revs and then it magicaly starts goin sum! Is this the norm for every valver or is summit up?

Sorry m8, i forgot to follow on the post.

The Clio 16v, or valver as its more commonly known on the forum is notorious for its 4,000rev kick. With all 16v engines you need to boot it to get the high revs up allowing you to get the 2nd cam spinning. The clio 1.8 16v gets most of its torque in higher rev range 4,500 - 7,000 so you need to be really agressive with it to get anywhere.

Theres nothing wrong with your car mate, there all like that. It adds to fun of driving a clio 16v.

lol but what a massive kick when it comes in!

Thats why im getting me a Willy 3 engine today!!

Kicks in at (what was it again Rockport) 2k or 2.5k?

When i first bought my 16v i was over the moon with it, (coming from an XR3I who wouldnt) but the thing was i didnt know how to drive it correctly.

After a while you get used to it.. Its then you will learn to appreciate how quick it really is, and how to get the best out of it.

oddly enough smokey even with the williams lump you still get a better kick higher up in the rev range. i dont know if this is becuase im running a 1.816v manifold - but it does share similar charateristics.

But yeah your right - 85% of the torque is made up at 2,000rpm, from there it pulls all the way to the redline in every gear! its lovely! Just you wait smokey.

Titanium 182

smokey so youve sorted an engine out then! schweet!

you really have to abuse the valver to get it going! but its all good!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by 1.8_16v_Clio on 14 November 2003

Quick question! My valver doesnt seem very quick until it hits 4000 revs and then it magicaly starts goin sum! Is this the norm for every valver or is summit up?
16v valve engines always produce most of there power high up the rev range.

i hate it when people say that!

all engines make most of their power in their higher rpm ranges.

16Vs make more torque & bhp per ltr than 8vs

16Vs per ltr can run at higer rpm and still keep a high VE where 8vs would tail off.

true early 16vs were peaky due to poor design, but if you were developing an engine solely for torque, then the benefits of 2 inlets and the associated benefits of twin runner port design means youll be able to make more torque than a simple single inlet and port.

i.e. 1.25 zetecs are amazing! and the F4R730 has amazing toque for its agressive cam.

Sorry for the rant lol.

but yes, the valver is peaky! haha

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the f4r engine gains torque at lower revs due to the variable valve timing.old 16v engines dont have it so most of there power is produced higher up the rev range.

its only a simple inlet cam phasing device of 16 deg advance anyway. Its phased at anything above 1500 (IIRC lol) so its in an advanced state anyway at low rpm. Got some agressive ramp and plane angles the std cam.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the variable valve timing only works on full throttle between 1520rpm and about 5000rpm.the advance of the cam creates valve overlap.its only used at full throttle due to valve overlap increases emissions(most modern engines dont have valve overlap because of this reason unlike old engines where they had valve overlap all the time).this 2 stage variable timing is very crude and completly different to other manufactures like honda for example(honda has an additional cam which is controlled by the oil pressure to the hydr tappets on that cam)