ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4k rattle - finally fixed :-D

Ive been cursed with the 4k rattle on both the 172s that Ive had. Renault have never been able to fix it for me and Ive now heard countless different reasons for it.

I recently changed my standard Renault exhaust system to a stainless steel system, and I was hoping this would solve the rattle. Unfortunately it didnt, and I thought I was going to just have to put up with it forever.

Anyway, its been annoying me so much, I got under the car and had a look for what might be causing it, and I found that the main rear exhaust mount rubber was looking the worse for wear (see "Before" pic). It also looks pretty flimsy anyway and there was a lot of movement if I shook the tailpipes.

Renault want something like £40 for another flimsy looking exhaust mount (you have to buy the metal bit too, not just the rubber), so I thought Id try a bit of a DIY job. I went to Halfords and bought 1 large exhaust mount (£1.29) and some exhaust strapping (£1.99), cut out the existing rubber, and glued in the Halfords mount with a piece of rubber strapping cut to fill the gap and act as a spacer. See "After" pic.

Anyway, Ive re-fitted this to the car and the exhaust hardly moves at all now and best of all, no 4k rattle to be heard. :cool:

Before:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076687586__Dublin2004039.jpg

After:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076687668__Dublin2004041.jpg

ideal, iv just developed the 12k 1.2 rattle! sounds like a screw in the exhaust or something. being deaf in one ear i couldnt figure out where it was coming from, cheers.

Quote: Originally posted by maff on 13 February 2004

ideal, iv just developed the 12k 1.2 rattle! sounds like a screw in the exhaust or something. being deaf in one ear i couldnt figure out where it was coming from, cheers.
Yeah, that buzzy, rattley, loose bit of metal in exhaust system sound. Although I didnt think a 1.2 would rev to 12000rpm ;). Its actually 4000rpm or thereabouts where it starts to rattle on a 172. Deeply irritating. At what revs does it happen on a 1.2?

ah i thought 4k was the amount of miles you have to drive in a 172 before it all starts rattling! oops!:oops: well mines around a 4k rattle too then:)

H22A7 Accord Type R

HMMMMMMMMM very interesting mate! this could mean i can get rid of my cable ties! I understand the BIG exhaust mount, but whats the strapping?? just a bit strip of rubber?? could be a job for the weekend this?! is it totally packed? no chance of it fallin out or that? Rob

it doesnt happen all that often, normally when the engine is under more strain like pulling away going up a hill, i think its probably a lot quiter the rest of the time so cant hear it.

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 13 February 2004

HMMMMMMMMM very interesting mate! this could mean i can get rid of my cable ties! I understand the BIG exhaust mount, but whats the strapping?? just a bit strip of rubber?? could be a job for the weekend this?! is it totally packed? no chance of it fallin out or that? Rob
lol, I tried cable ties at one point. Didnt work for me! Ill take a pic of what is left of the strapping.

And yes, its in very tight. I just cleaned up the rubber that was left on the rubber mount (I used Gunk engine cleaner). Then I superglued the piece of rubber strapping to the big rubber mount, then superglued these two pieces into the position in the 2nd piccie above. Seems rock solid compared to the Renault rubber that I cut out.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076690362__Dublin2004.jpg

I just cut off a strip on the right hand side. Needed to do this as the mount from Halfords doesnt quite fit snugly in the metal frame. Just by by sheer luck, the strapping is the exact right thickness to fill the gap.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

it cable tie that mount in just in case, it dont look too secure.

top idea