ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

50mm lens?

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I've seen quite a few threads with people who have shot using 50mm lenses, they seem to be really popular so im considering getting one myself. What kind of pics are they best used for? Never used a fixed focal lense before so is it quite restricting in terms of what you can shoot?

Cheers for any pointers guys :)

Motorbikes
In terms of it being restrictive yes, but you can use that as a way to improve your photography by moving around to get a bteer perspective, teaches you to move around.

Good for just about anything I think really, portraits, indoors etc. And good bokeh effect.

Quite fancy one next too.

Flame Red Delight
depends on your budget mate, i have a 50mm (nifty fifty) and its ideal for close up shots and can also do a bit of landscape, its definately the most sharp and easy to use lense on a restrictive budget. But if you have a bit of cash to spend then i would buy a sigma 10-20mm lense. I just bought one today and its incredible :D

koi

Audi S1
Just got my nifty fifty recently, one thing I have found that it is a bit restrictive and takes a while to get used to having to move back and forwards rather than zooming.

Quality wise the images are a lot sharper than my kit lens.

Ian

Focus TDCi
You need to consider when you are moving forward and backwards that you are also changing the perspective of the shot you are taking. The size of the items in the background will be changed by moving closer or further away from the scene, so standing close with a 50mm lens won't be the same as standing further away and using a longer focal length.

Can't find the original thread that I read, but here is another one.

Having said that, it is a great lens, really sharp and great bokeh and on a crop sensor about the correct length for portrait shots, street, possibly landscape etc.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
depends on your budget mate, i have a 50mm (nifty fifty) and its ideal for close up shots and can also do a bit of landscape, its definately the most sharp and easy to use lense on a restrictive budget. But if you have a bit of cash to spend then i would buy a sigma 10-20mm lense. I just bought one today and its incredible :D

Thats not at all what he asked though, 2 completely different tools. designed for different jobs.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Was just about to say, the 10-20 is completely different lol.

It's a good lens, I use it as a walk about lens as it's tiny on the camera.

Its popular because its cheap on most systems,(the 50mm f/1.8) and provides a massive aperture for little money!

If your shooting Canon the f/1.8 is good for the money, if your shooting Nikon I'd rather get the 35mm af-s as mentioned above...

Works...kind of...
how hard is it to manual focus on these always used auto focus

IME, crap. Plastic, flimsy, no resistance so it's difficult to be accurate, no focus distance window.

Maybe it's because I own a Tak' 50mm which has one of the best focusing movements 'evar' so I've been spoilt, but I really did find trying to MF on my nifty a grating experience.

182 & Porsche 986
It's a good lens, I use it as a walk about lens as it's tiny on the camera.

ditto, it weighs less too which is why i keep it on all the time.
i think i'd prefer a 35mm i find 50mm just too far sometimes, i have had some decent pictures out of it though.

the 50mm f1.8 is rather cheap (well it was when i got it) and is pretty decent for the money.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Thanks very much for the comments guys :D

Dunno if i can stretch to the 35mm at the moment....but the 50mm is looking promising :cool: