ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5x or S6?

It's time for me to get a new phone and I just can't decide between the Nexus 5x and the Samsung S6.

I know the S7 is about to be released but looking at the spec there isn't a massive difference and it will be considerably more expensive.

So the decision I have is, do I go for the better spec'd S6, 32gb for £260 or go for the pure android experience but not as good spec'd Nexus 5x, 32gb for £329?

Decisions, decisions.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
My old dear has just gone from the older nexus 5 to the S6 and massively regrets it. I had a play with it and the only thing I liked was the screen.

I'm a massive nexus fan so I'll always recommend one

I've currently got a Nexus 4 so am a big fan of the pure android experience but I am finding it hard to justify spending more money to get a worse spec'd phone.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
6P unless you really don't want a bigger phone.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Got a 5X for Christmas. Impressed with it!

My previous phone was a Desire HD though lol, so I guess I'd be impressed with anything released in the last 3+ years.

This is also my choice. What one did you go for? I love my Nexus 5, but want a new refreshed phone!

Titanium 182
I've got the Galaxy S6, I had the Edge version but after I broke it I elected for the the standard screen. Best phone I've ever owned, zero lag at all, and with some little tweaks I get an average of 5 hours SOT everyday. Then of course you've got the upcoming Samsung Pay which is just awesome.

The 5X has 2GB of Ram, which is sort of putting me off that one. Then again, according to real life users its not a major drawback.

This is also my choice. What one did you go for? I love my Nexus 5, but want a new refreshed phone!
I could decide so havent done anything yet.
I really need to make a choice but it's hard knowing that the S6 is the superior handset but I want pure Android.

Titanium 182
S7?

Edit just re-read your first post, it will be fairly different to the S6, looks like it's waterproof too. Just don't rule it out yet, I don't think it'd be worth someone in my position upgrading (s6>s7) but might be more than worth it for you

S7?

Edit just re-read your first post, it will be fairly different to the S6, looks like it's waterproof too. Just don't rule it out yet, I don't think it'd be worth someone in my position upgrading (s6>s7) but might be more than worth it for you

Due this month so be interesting to see what changes they have made.

Does mean you should be able to pick up an S6 cheaper.

Due this month so be interesting to see what changes they have made.

Does mean you should be able to pick up an S6 cheaper.

From what i've read there won't be huge changes, just tweaks.
External memory cards and USB-C charging are the main ones, neither of which massively appeal to me considering how much more it will be than the S6.
I've pretty much decided to get the S6 and just modify it to make it more like pure android.

From what i've read there won't be huge changes, just tweaks.
External memory cards and USB-C charging are the main ones, neither of which massively appeal to me considering how much more it will be than the S6.
I've pretty much decided to get the S6 and just modify it to make it more like pure android.

yeah I'm looking at doing the same.

Just been looking in some these glass screen protectors too, but due to the curved edges of the screen you got to be careful not to get halos on them. Seems there are only a few decent ones out there!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The S6 is that good Marques Brownlee and the verge named it phone of the year. For something with TW that's a huuuuuge compliment!!!!

The S7 will move the game on again. The camera on the S6 blew me away, haven't ever seen images like that from a phone camera before, even the Note5.