ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'86 MK2 Golf GTI - Resto job.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Nice.

Don't these things (or is it Mk.1's?) have silly priced accessories like the GTI badge on the front grille and the red piping?

I know you want to keep it original, but a very subtle drop in ride height really suits these, imo.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well, my Christmas has come early.

38827556132_8693edd16d_c.jpg
Untitled by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Absolutely blown away with the work done (JF Bodyworks). I dont really want to post these pictures as the AWFUL (and wrong) state of the wheels really take away from the hard work, but the paint is just so good I cant help but show it off!

23993503897_282652b305_c.jpg

37971464815_decaa21b41_c.jpg

38858150811_4036e46523_c.jpg

So obviously it needs the wheels put on that I picked up as these are wrong, and hanging. There's also a few trim bits that need attending to (GTI badge with some hammerite red paintjob needs to go back to silver, side trims have flakes of red missing so that'll need some magic).

The interior is my next big mission though. The drivers seat just needs a proper going over, I'm hoping to source a passenger seat and rebuild my drivers one using its foam and cover. The whole thing needs a deep deep clean, probably a wet vac will do it! Oh, and the headlining is sagging at the rear. Basically, my next expense will be an automotive trimmer! Uh-oh....

Still the car is looking stunning, and I'm so happy with how the paint turned out. It seemed so far away just a couple of weeks ago, the car was looking very sorry for itself and I felt like it'll never be done. Now with just a respray the end feels in sight!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Paint looks great, did he do a full respray? Please could you PM me how much the repairs and paintwork cost, thank you in advance. Cheers Gareth

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Looks great!
Although need more pics of the XJS from your lovely reflection!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic mate. Great to see another bodyshop take pride in their work.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Golf Mk2 Parts from North Norfolk? Mk2 Spares UK in Holt? Local lads, I live near there, its like a treasure cave for mk2's

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Wow. Lurvely. Seeing that looking that good makes me feel 16 again.
Thanks mate! Still lots to do to tidy it up, especially the interior. Exterior is almost there bar some incorrect badge painting on the front, and the fact 4 P Slots in the boot are weighing the back down! That, and if you look underneath you can see the exhaust blowing haha

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well, updates on this thing.

Managed to get a new exhaust on it, was pretty proud I did this on my todd as some of it was a nightmare to get off! Sounds and looks a lot tidier now too

I also fixed the buggered up GTI badge.

Tried to take it to its first event last month. Didn't go too well, when it broke down the day before. Symptomns were fuel starvation, and when I got it towed back the RAC guy thought it might be the fuel relay.

Upon further investigation, it turned out to be a fuel pump in the tank. Managed to get that sorted and took it out for a blast this weekend, what a thing! Absolutely love driving it. Surprisingly refined for its age too on the motorway, but at its best down a twisty/bumpy b road. That ride height may look a bit comical, but pays dividends when you are faced with some of the ropey roads around me.

Couldn't resist a little side by side photo with the M3 as well!

by Jason.Easton, on Flickr by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Aside from the fact that I detest the VW scene, I like this a lot. Kudos! Paint looks ace - please don't ever change that shitty rear plate. :tongueout:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Evening all, this also had its go at PH fame the other week...

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-carpool/vw-golf-gti-mk2-ph-carpool/37876

Since then, I've fitted new reproduction bumpers and arches. They arent quite sitting right due to crusty 30 year old brackets breaking, and repro parts not quite doing as they should. I'll get the lined up properly soon.

Either way, I recently organised and event under the umbrella of the rally company I help run in my spare time at the place my MK2 is stored. A chap came down to detail a few cars there before the event, mine being one. I only asked him to throw a quick bucket over it, but he's made it look better than I've ever had it! So I decided to throw my stupid gay showplates on (On another not, reproduction dealer plates with correct font are on their way...)

DSC_0969 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

DSC_0965 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

DSC_0043 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

DSC_0037 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Anyway, good stuff aside... I took it for a trip out and my friend joined in his Boxster Spyder, I did my best to try and keep him in my rear view. I'm not saying I was faster, in fact I'm really not saying that. However, I think I was having more fun. The car however, well the brakes have gone, I've lost a top mount, and the engine leaked some oil for a day and has now stop. Oh, and theres a tappity noise which I assume (hope) is a stuck lifter.

If that wasn't enough, the passenger floor has a rust hole in it...

More work to do then!