ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

98 Ron Recommended...

Maz

LY 200
Liam182 said:
most do, this topic is discussed every week mate.

Never seen it mentioned or I wouldn't have asked... but tbh I didn't do a search first so sorry if this is a repeated thread ???

If so can a mod please remove ??? :D thanks

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ive used it since birth.1st march,and after previous experience on my 172 i would'nt use anything else

ian

VaVa
I've never noticed any.

I use predominanyl Optimax, but when I used standard 95 for a few weeks it made no difference whatsoever.

I only use optimax for the supposed engine cleaners in it.

98ron.jpg

In Hammerite style...

"It says so on the lid"

It's supposed to make the 172/182 idle a bit more smoothly. I use it it in mine, and I've never noticed any performance change, but it seems to improve mpg slightly.

at my local shell, they only have 1 pump at the moment with Unleaded in, with a sign up saying "No Unleaded" at the other pumps. So yesterday there were 7 cars waiting at that 1 pump....

... i pulled up to get my Optimax as usual, thought about it and went to the closed pump. I proceeded to fill up, amused by the fact that everyone was waiting 10/15 minutes to get unleaded. The looks in their faces was great as i paid for the 98ron and drove off on my way :D

so if thats not a reason to buy Optimax, what is!? :D

The End, thanks for listening :approve:

Maz

LY 200
Lol @ fubAr

The reason I was asking was because I have spoken to some people who don't but most people I know do so...... just thought I was ask you guys lol :)

Mk2 Golf GTI
The additives in Optimax are supposed to clean the engine.

This was also taken form another site

there was an article in evo magazine a while back, they ran three different cars exclusivley on optimax for two weeks, the took in gear acceleration times and endoscope shots inside the inlet tracts and bores
after the two weeks they did the same tests and found that all three cars were quicker, and all of the bores/inlet tracts were cleaner, as were the backs of the valves, so it obviously works
also the guy that maps my car says he can run up to three more degrees ignition advance at the top end on optimax compared to other fuels

I'm going to fill up with it next time i'm running low, see if the car runs any smoother

172 cup'd extreme
mine runs smoother with optimax and it also does a higher mpg, but my ecu is tuned for 97/98 ron, the standard 172 is mapped to run on 95 ron (uk model) and the ecu wont advance the ignition timing when putting 98 in the engine so standard 172 owners wont 'feel' the difference really

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Just use Sainsburys 97. It's only 2p more than regular 95 at about 91.9 up 'ere int 'ills.

Maz

LY 200
I only ever use Optimax on mine tbh but I put normal 95 in the other day by mistake and just wondered if this would cause a problem (only half a tank) lol :)

M

mark Saville

mines an import and there is a definate difference running the 97 to the 95, the throttle is sharper and power more instant. Inside the flap it says run 98 but try finding that. I looked at Optimax but it does not give a Ron number is it 97?

used tesco 99 for 2 tank fulls & it started missing slightly from cold, only an extra 1 or 2 quid for optimax & so it'll be until they come up with something better

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Evo mag also commented in the current issue that they are now putting ALL test cars through a test on the same dyno. Also, they said they'd reveal just how much extra power could be released by running premium fuels over supermarket crap.

I've never noticed the power (but then I have run it on Optimax from new), but it gets all rough, jumpy, and stutters if I have to use 95 when I get caught out.

Ford Fiesta
mark Saville said:
mines an import and there is a definate difference running the 97 to the 95, the throttle is sharper and power more instant. Inside the flap it says run 98 but try finding that. I looked at Optimax but it does not give a Ron number is it 97?

Optimax is the only UK fuel to go out at the pumps above 98RON. So if you want to stick to what it says on the tin optimax it is...

Focus ST
To be honest, it is less about the octane rating and more to do with the additives in the fuel (except on cars where knocking is an issue).

A 4.2 V8 Audi A8 at work has been modified to run each cylinder bank from a seperate fuel supply. One bank they run on BP Ulitimate and the other on normal unleaded (not BP) and the difference after a few thousand miles is astonishing to be fair. The inlet tracts and backs of valves on the normal unleaded side are covered in deposits which narrow the inlets and disrupt the air flow, whereas the side run on Ultimate is literally as clean as new. It is well worth using.

This obviously this affects power and response. I would never use regular unleaded again having seen this evidence.

Focus ST
I work for BP Global Lubricant Technology, but Global Fuels Technology is based on the same site.

I went to a presentation the other day where they showed us this, and also a video taken through an endoscope of the three inlet valves of a cylinder from each bank whilst running and the visual difference was pretty amazing. The side with normal unleaded was so dirty and Ultimate side clean as the proverbial whistle - I'm not sure which fuel they used for the noraml unleaded but I'd rather use a fuel where I know it's keeping these parts of the engine tip top.

It was on display at Goodwood this year if anyone went and noticed it? They also had a couple of Saab Aeros on Dynos running different fuels.

*edit* think there are some vids on the intranet at work so will have to try and post them on here for people to see.

Last edited: