ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

a bit of advice for a new driver :)

2002 Clio 172 Cup
Would need a lot of parts and work to get that to look the same, just from the exterior part you need headlights, front bumper, wing mirrors etc and then you got suspension etc.

Seriously not worth it. Just buy a proper 172 PH1 saves time, money and hassle

yer i thought id be told to get a 172 but the thing is i dont have a fortune to spend. just wanted to buy the car cheap then gradually change it. so as long as it can be done i think i will :S

Z4 Coupe
Save your money! Dont waste it on a small engine clio. When you have the funds to do it, then buy the 172:)

1.2 Dynamique
People might want the looks of a 172 but can't afford the running of one (insurance etc.) so if you want to do it then go ahead.

Just because its a small engine car, doesn't mean you can't make it look nice. Just don't ever expect to go like a rocket lol

Clio Sport 172
i had a 1.2 and loved it had lots of fun doing little bits to it and was well cheap but was slow got 115mph out of it. but got my 172 now its lots more fun but cost a lot more on parts and so on, but you need to think what you are going to use the car for? day to day car or just to drive now and then. as my 172 is a day car i do about 40-50 miles a day its costing my a few quid in fuel thats the killer

yer thats what ive been thinking, im only gunna be useing it for driving around town so i wont ever need to go past 70 tops tbh. i could save up for a fast car thats gunna drain fuel and cost a fortune to insure when i really dont need one, but at the same time i want it to look nice, so just wanted to know if i would be able to do it :p

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You can buy a ph1 172 for waaaay under a grand now.

Insurance is silly on anything from 1.2's to 172s and beyond.

Insurance on your 1.2 will become even more ridiculous once you make it a rep, unless you've a very understanding insurance company.

Stick out the 1.2 as is for a while, and just concentrate on not becoming a statistic, before you go spending all your pocket money on bits to make your car cost you more than a 172 anyway ! :rasp:

People seem to get sensible (ish) quotes from 19 y/o on the sports, so just chill and save your dosh.

Clio Sport 172
how did you get 115mph? mine does 101 on my private runway!

Dunno mate was just did all so had 16 or 17 on can't rember what size but I loved it coz I would race my mate in he's 1.4 pug and he would lose every time do have some pics of my old blue 1.2 if you have a look.

Clio Sport 172
yer thats what ive been thinking, im only gunna be useing it for driving around town so i wont ever need to go past 70 tops tbh. i could save up for a fast car thats gunna drain fuel and cost a fortune to insure when i really dont need one, but at the same time i want it to look nice, so just wanted to know if i would be able to do it :p

this was what happen to me I was about 24 had my 1.2 fully comp was about £500 and I got my 172 standard and it when to £1200ish third party I'm 26 now with 6 years no claim got the cleanest sheet you can get and I pay now £900 fully comp it still makes me sick to think about. ( sorry for bad spelling on my iPhone )

Ok not read the above they all look lengthy but here goes

I have a 1.2l 8v Clio same shape (mk2 ph1) only red I have or am part way through a 172 conversion front and rear bumpers are on wings are on and side skirts and spoiler still to be painted and put on so far cost me about 200 for body parts and paint. Wing mirrors just want colour coding no need to change and the rest is your imagination the headlights are optional but I prefer my current ones to the dual optics on the 172.

My insurance ( 20 years old 1 crash my fault worth 5k 1 ncb) is 2300 fully comp on my own with elephant all mods so far declared such as my OZ F1 alloys and the body kit suspension is still yet to come though

Hope this helps

Nick

If you want pics pm me I'll be happy to oblige :)

2002 Clio 172 Cup
this was what happen to me I was about 24 had my 1.2 fully comp was about £500 and I got my 172 standard and it when to £1200ish third party I'm 26 now with 6 years no claim got the cleanest sheet you can get and I pay now £900 fully comp it still makes me sick to think about. ( sorry for bad spelling on my iPhone )

I can't get insured with sky insurance due to my postcode and I have - 3ncb, 21 years of age and 1 fault claim worth £5000 all mods declared and its £840 - Clio 172 Cup

Might wanna shop around even more or it could just be due to your area

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Dunno mate was just did all so had 16 or 17 on can't rember what size but I loved it coz I would race my mate in he's 1.4 pug and he would lose every time do have some pics of my old blue 1.2 if you have a look.

well i am going to have to try again at somepoint to go a bit faster