ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Clue on the creaking/knocking noises in my 182...

182FF c/w Recaros
Posted and read similar posts in the not to distant past about various noises coming from underneath the car.

Whilst I'm aware that I might have issues with my exhaust/manifold, the other noises that I have been experiencing came to light again yesterday.

Was travelling out to play golf:cool: and after i'd be running a while engine up to temperature etc etc, the noises started to come back again. Note, these noises only appear once I've been running a while and I wasn't sure where they were coming from but it's definately the front of the car.

Anyway, few slow pulloffs and the noises happened (can only hear it when slowing down pulling off) again.

Pulled up to a set of traffic lights, came to a stop and fore some reason (mind wandering) I started to turn the steering wheel from side to side.

Guess what, replicated the noises I get.

Appears that when I turn the steering wheel from side to side I get this noise (not realy knocking, more creaking) sound from the front of the car.

Question is then to you experts:approve: , ideas? Steering Rack, Ball Joints etc etc?

If I could narrow it down a bit, I could get my old man to have a look tomorrow and furthermore, if I need to go to the stealers for repair work (not sure if it would be warranty (car just under 2 years old) then it would be better to go in with some idea on what's wrong becuase it seems Renault need some guidence on what to look for becuase if you are a bit vague on what's wrong, they never seem to find the problem!

TIA

Sounds like ball joint or track rod ends. Certainly not the usual creaking on full lock style problem that mines had since 6 miles on the clock.

Why not do what a lot of guys on here do and just completely remove the suspension (deck it!) and see if the noise goes away?

182... again!
Mine is doing the same, although it does it from cold too. Dealer have diagnosed a nearside balljoint which is going to be changed under warranty:)

Cars two years old and done 25K...and four trackdays! (they don't know about that!!)

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Mine did this for ages and drove me mad, but I knew it was coming from the near side.

Replaced the lower suspension on the nearside, 'jobs a good un'

I think the part was around £60 for Renault.

182FF c/w Recaros
Mine is doing the same, although it does it from cold too. Dealer have diagnosed a nearside balljoint which is going to be changed under warranty:)

Cars two years old and done 25K...and four trackdays! (they don't know about that!!)

23 months old. 16K mile and 0 track days.

Pathetic realy. Might as well be made of Lego these RS's.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I have the same knocking noise, according to others posts the cure is the lower arm ball joint, I will replace mine in one or two weeks

We have a disposable car!!!

182FF c/w Recaros
Just an update. Been out doing a bit on the car today. Had the wheels off and stuff. All looks ok (allbeit it a bit rusty lol) except.....

On the drivers side, there's an arm that goes to the wheel (track rod I think). there appears to be a tiny bit of play in this arm whereas on the oher side it's solid.

not sure if this could be responsible but i'll mnetion in when it eventually goes into the stealers.

182... again!

23 months old. 16K mile and 0 track days.

Pathetic realy. Might as well be made of Lego these RS's.:rolleyes:

I just remind myself how relatively cheap the car was!!

Jobs been done today...all seems good now :approve:

Infact dealer has diagnosed and fixed problem first time...hope i'm not speaking too soon!!