ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Abs sensor issues, help/advice needed

LY Megane R26
Hi everyone,

Ok so bit if his history first. I had a abs fault about a month or so ago, plugged diagnostics in and had an unknown fault code, did a live data run and found the L/H abs sensor was reading a different speed to the other 3 sensors. So assumed it was the L/H sensor issue. Replaced that using a genuine sensor.

I thought all would be good, did a live data run again and still had the issue, checked the sensor distance as suggest by another member previously, as it appeared this sensor was further away from the ring compared to the R/H side sensor, so got my gauge out and measured both sides, the L/H side was further away than the R/H front, so I then got it so the sensor on the L/H matched the R/H one.

Thought this would cure the fault, nope still read the incorrect speed. Thought it may have been a wiring issue, I've checked all wiring and plugs on the abs system, they're all ok. The strange thing is, it is reading a speed just less than the other sensors, so when they're all reading 7kmph the L/H front will be reading 2kmph for example. I've checked the ring that side too and that looks fine.

Today, I unplugged the L/H front sensor and went for a drive this then of course read 0kmph on the live data. But the strange thing is the R/H front sensor then read between 2/3kmph when the 2 rears were reading 7/8kmph, before this the R/H front always read the same as the 2 rear sensors. Then to make it more confusing, I thought I would plug the L/H front back in and unplug the R/H front. The L/H front sensor went back to reading 2kmph, and the really strange thing is my rear L/H sensor started reading the same as the front L/H which was 2kmph. But on the R/H front which I had disconnected so you would assume that would read 0, it actually was giving a speed of 5Kmph when the R/H rear was making a speed of 8Kmph.

So I'm really confused now on what route to take. Could the R/H front sensor be causing this issue? I was going to get one anyway for how much I can get them for. But was worried something else could be causing the fault all together? Has anyone else seen this before?
ive checked the ring condition on the R/H front side and to be honest it has seen better days, could this be causing the issue? The rear abs rings are fine as I fitted new discs earlier this year with new bearings and rings

And the only fault code I had was 50ce unknown fault code if I remember right, I did have an issue with my brake light switch recently which kept bringing on my abs, traction control and service lights on, I changed that and they went, they haven't been on since which is puzzling me if the speeds my sensors are reading are different surely this would bring the lights on?

Can an anyone shed some light on this?

Oh oh and the diagnostics I use is a Delphi DS350. Would using different diagnostics help at all?

Thanks

chris

Last edited:
  LY Megane R26
Oooops just realised, posted in the wrong section, can a mod move it to the faults section please :)

LY Megane R26
Definitely no teeth missing on passenger side, I've thoroughly cleaned and checked that side several times.
The drivers side looked ok last time I checked but I haven't cleaned it as thorough as the other side so that's part of my plan today, cause for how much I've got the abs sensors for I'm just going to replace the drivers side today anyway and I'll inspect the ring in detail when I do that as I'll whip the disc off etc.

dan's cast offs.
for the cost of one i'd just change the ring anyway. also worth checking the wiring from the sensor to the ecu.

182FF
Im Having this problem, my brother plugged his Ethos Diagnostic machine in & it read i was doing around 2000mph on the nearside rear when the other wheels were doing 50.

He disconnected the Sensor & its still giving the same reading which was confusing.

Did you get anywhere with this?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Inspect the ring and make sure you have 44 teeth. Have seen a few of these recently after having non - gen replacement shafts fitted with 38 or 42 teeth which causes inconsistent speed readings.

182FF
Sorry to hijack this.. But if I disconnect the sensor it shouldn't give any speed readings?

So it must be before the sensor? :S?