ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accident damage to my clio, need help!

Renault Clio
Hey...

I lost control of my car on wednesday night at about 1 in the morning, and I believe I hit some water which caused me to skid out...

Anyway, I hit a kerb at about 30-40mph after doing a 180 in the road, and smashed my alloy to pieces, and now my rear wheel sits at an angle like / ...

Does anyone have any idea how much a new rear axle + brake drum would cost to buy + get fitted? My excess for my insurance is £370 plus I will lose almost 4 years no claims, and if the cost of repairing is less or only slightly more, I would rather repair it than go through insurance!!!

Obviously, my alloy I will have to replace myself either way, so in truth thats an extra £100 on top, but a friend of mine is willing to give me 2 blue Cobra Daytona seats for nothing (as my drivers seat airbag got set off!)

Any suggestions? Any idea of the cost of doing that work?

Oh if it helps, I'm in the Northamptonshire area (just outside Wellingborough) so if any of you are mechanics or know of a good place to go.... ;)

Also it helps if I tell you what model it is :p It's a Mark 2 Phase 2 1.2 8v Clio

Renault Clio
Thats all depending on how much you want for it and how easy it would be to fit for a mechanical r****d like myself :p And obviously if it would fit without much hassle (much being more than getting a different sized spanner to tighten up a bolt somewhere :p)

Renault Clio
Well I'll need to think about it as I'm unsure of how to fit it at all - If anyone knows how or even better, would be willing to help me do it for a bit of cash, all the better :p

Well I'll need to think about it as I'm unsure of how to fit it at all - If anyone knows how or even better, would be willing to help me do it for a bit of cash, all the better :p

Its about 1.5 hours worrk to swop only 4 bolts as said. Biggest think is bleeding the brakes.

Rear axles even drum ones are expensive £400 I think last time I checked.
If the airbags gon off you need a new airbags or resisters in the lines. Then you need to either get a newcomputer (£350 or so there a few types) and get it fitted or a few places seem to think they can clear the faults on units for £50 or so and reuse them. Renault say they cannot be resued though.

Matt Balck on here has brand new 182 rear axles with new disk caliper pads etc for £300.

Renault Clio
Thanks for the info - As mine is only a 1.2 I don't know if rear discs is even possible, if not overkill, and if it is doable I still don't know how to get it all wired up properly ;)

If anyone knows how to do that then please help! lol...

I shall get my dad's advice on this, as he will probably be helping me repair it if it doesn't go through insurance :)

Thanks for the info - As mine is only a 1.2 I don't know if rear discs is even possible, if not overkill, and if it is doable I still don't know how to get it all wired up properly ;)

If anyone knows how to do that then please help! lol...

I shall get my dad's advice on this, as he will probably be helping me repair it if it doesn't go through insurance :)

Wiring up is easy the noraml brake lines match up the handbrake cable need fitting and you need to plug in the ABS sensors then the 4 bolts to hold it in place and err thats it.

Its overkill a bit but most 172's don't need rear disks.
Personally I'd go to a breakers and get a axle froma front end 1.2/1.4/1.6/dci etc 9there all the saem) as drums are cheaper to buy and last longer.

BMW M135i
I've had my passenger seat airbag set of by a curb and not paying attention when I should have and i've sent my airbag comp to germany to have the crash data removed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/airbag-contro...oryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems to have good results going off feedback, just waiting to get it back now. You have to replace the side impact sensors as well do you not edde ? (airbag faq says so, hope I haven't changed mine for feck all at £61)
Do you have to replace both or just the one on the side thats been triggered ?

I've had my passenger seat airbag set of by a curb and not paying attention when I should have and i've sent my airbag comp to germany to have the crash data removed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/airbag-contro...oryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems to have good results going off feedback, just waiting to get it back now. You have to replace the side impact sensors as well do you not edde ? (airbag faq says so, hope I haven't changed mine for feck all at £61)

Not sure what you mean by side impack sensor the one under the seats or the airbags or the pretensions etc.

BMW M135i
The sensors bolted to side of the car by the seats. Am wondering whether it was necessary now as the new sensors behaves electrically the same as the old one does, open circuit but theres a diode across it.

Last edited:
Claim on the insurance; it's why you took it out. Let them sort it out for you, then you have no worries apart from searching for a decent insurance renewal quote next time round...!

Fiesta Zetec S
Claim on the insurance; it's why you took it out. Let them sort it out for you, then you have no worries apart from searching for a decent insurance renewal quote next time round...!

and pay a further 300 + for each year till no claims are back :evil:

I dont think so :rasp: