ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accident query?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Afternoon all,

My girlfriend had an accident this afternoon on the motorway as a car in front slammed on to miss a car in front of him and she tagged the back of him.

The damage isn't bad on either car and a respray on both bumpers would suffice and I'm not even sure it's worth my girlfriend claiming.

Now the issue is that the other car was an Avis rental so they'll probably be straight down the line and want to claim.

My girlfriend has 9 years protected no claims with a £500 excess.

If she doesn't claim and simply pays for a respray and Avis claim against her, is the excess paid?

Is not claiming going to have less of a negative effect on next years premium?

What will happen with the NCD?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The excess is only deducted from your own claim, not the hire car's. Not claiming for your car reduces the overall 'cost' of the accident to your insurer, so they may not charge as much at renewal.

The excess is only deducted from your own claim, not the hire car's. Not claiming for your car reduces the overall 'cost' of the accident to your insurer, so they may not charge as much at renewal.

plus she has protected NCB so that won't reduce either .

just let avis claim , get the bumper sprayed and move on thankful that knowbody was hurt .

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If they're claiming you might aswell claim, a claim is a claim, doesn't matter if it's £1 or million

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

just let avis claim , get the bumper sprayed and move on thankful that knowbody was hurt .

Thanks Guys, we thought this was the case. Hopefully the impact will be minimal. Excuse the pun!

If they're claiming you might aswell claim, a claim is a claim, doesn't matter if it's £1 or million
I don't know if they are yet Buddy but I would assume they are. It won't cost £500 to spray the bumper though so it's not really worth the claim I don't think.

Cup In bits
£500 excess for a 9 year NCB protected driver? get that changed next year mate. She'll get the minimum excess they offer with that much driving under her belt and it will have very little affect on the premium if any.

I was in the same boat until lately where I had been with Elephant for years and had just continued on the same policy when buying new cars and had never changed the voluntary excess as its not something they as, it was at £350 to bring down quotes when I was younger, I changed it to £0 and it added £24 to my premium.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

It does make a difference. If you have made a high value claim, you're more likely to make another one, and therefore you present a bigger risk. Not all companies change their prices for this, but some definitely do.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've only ever been asked if I've claimed, not how much of a claim it was, and how would you even know anyway?

also disagree with the above, as I'd imagine my last claim was a huge some of money.

£500 excess for a 9 year NCB protected driver? get that changed next year mate. She'll get the minimum excess they offer with that much driving under her belt and it will have very little affect on the premium if any.

I was in the same boat until lately where I had been with Elephant for years and had just continued on the same policy when buying new cars and had never changed the voluntary excess as its not something they as, it was at £350 to bring down quotes when I was younger, I changed it to £0 and it added £24 to my premium.

Totally depends on your car ...... 5 to 600 isnt unusual on high end cars

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've only ever been asked if I've claimed, not how much of a claim it was, and how would you even know anyway?

also disagree with the above, as I'd imagine my last claim was a huge some of money.

The value of a settled claim can be obtained from your insurer.

Changing a claim value from £500 to £1700 yielded a £200 increase in the quotes I got.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Totally depends on your car ...... 5 to 600 isnt unusual on high end cars
It's an S3. Compulsory excess of £500.