ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adding Caster with Gaz Coilovers

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
So i am trying to solve some slight handling issues with my 182 track car, @ZachB has kindly pointed out that i am running very little caster and that i have a couple of options to resolve it.

Top Mounts or Adjustable wishbones.

The only option i can find for adjustable top mounts are the BC racing ones, but they don't work with the Gaz coilovers i have so would require new springs... i have no idea what spring rate i would choose!?

I can't seem to find adjustable wishbones via google though i am sure they must exist?

Has anyone seen gaz compatible adjustable top mounts or can link me to adjustable wishbones (i'm guessing its the bushes i need?)?

Currently, i have PMS top mounts if that makes any difference?

Attachments

• 2f517782-86b6-47ba-9576-a532994c2546.jpg
    2f517782-86b6-47ba-9576-a532994c2546.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 100
You might have the older wishbones, if you can have a look at the lower bj bolts you can see which one you have. Blue is the new one but I dont think do as you have 1.5 on one side.

hjjhg.jpg

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
mucking around with wishbones will be more expensive than the £60 it would cost for a pair of metric springs.
The other way - modify your top mount position and move the mounting backwards

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
mucking around with wishbones will be more expensive than the £60 it would cost for a pair of metric springs.
What spring rate would you recommend i go for? the car is trailered to the track and i think the coilvers are Gaz Gold - they are silver with an adjustment knob on the front if that helps :D

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
You might have the older wishbones, if you can have a look at the lower bj bolts you can see which one you have. Blue is the new one but I dont think do as you have 1.5 on one side.
Ah yes, i remember fitting cup wishbones to my 172 back in the day! seems like a good mod to do anyway if it's not done already!

I mean just the newer factory wishbones not modifying them, you sell them and someone left a review about them being increased caster :)

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Ah ok. Monday I can get the printout of my car on newer dampers and max caster on the top mounts

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
What spring rate would you recommend i go for? the car is trailered to the track and i think the coilvers are Gaz Gold - they are silver with an adjustment knob on the front if that helps :D
I would say match it to whatever the dampers and springs are now. What springs are on the car currently

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Or just say f**k it and buy new BC racing coilovers with adjustable top mounts :ROFLMAO:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Looks like my 182 has gained some non cup 172 wishbones at some point in its life, how strange!!

At least I can remove the poly bushes and just buy some knackered cup ones then refit my bushes I guess.

7fd2d5e75a7175ef28b4e5e179656698.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Can you source a manual rack? The wishbones and the rack should solve most of the problems.

The car came with one, the previous owner just didn’t fit it!

Need to work out how to fit it now, the mounting points seem a little different?

20384f66c4df682f0c72a75cf9609456.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Bit of an update though a slightly disappointing one.

I replaced the steering rack, tre’s, ball joints, drivers side driveshaft and the wishbones with the advanced caster ones plus the pure motorsport subframe fixing washers/inserts.

I’ve managed to gain a bit of caster on the passenger side but the drivers side isn’t looking great :(

It’s on track at donnington tomorrow evening so I’ll find out how it feels then but I suspect I’m either going to need to swap the subframe or add adjustable top mounts.

c9ab0892a863d6d0773fe17a52991fde.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Yeah I put the ones from the for sale section on here with power flex black series bushes!

Will have to see how it handles at donnington then consider a alignment check somewhere else before tweaking other bits of the setup

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Well the results are in and the changes made a huge difference!

The car is very happy turning both left and right plus the steering is a lot less vague with the manual rack fitted!

Only negative is I managed to knock the steering out of line somehow, probably need to be less aggressive on the kerbs [emoji56]

Thanks for the help along the way Zach it’s much appreciated.

505807f6b5caff16973be6ca74de1a9f.jpg