ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adjusting xenons for france

Anything from the fleet

hi im going to france tomorrow and was wondering if you can adjust the beam on the xenon headlights to face the other way so you dont blind the french coming the other way?

cheers

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

nope, jus the height of the lights i believe...But theyll still get blinded either way.

Anything from the fleet

its auto up and down, but i thought perhaps there was an adjustment from left to right aswell..

dont like those plastic things!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

NO there is no adjustment for rhd or lhd

You just have to use the little BEAM BLOCKING STICKERS as seen in halfords

then you will be "legal" lol....i think everyones on the spa trip 04 had theirs fall off as soon as we arrived in france heheh

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Has on 14 June 2005

i think everyones on the spa trip 04 had theirs fall off as soon as we arrived in france heheh
lol, you mean those bits of tape that were not quite certified to 140mph!!

dk

911 GTS Cab

yes Has is right, you use those stickers.

the 182 does have height adjusters AFAIK on the xenons as we had a discussion on this a while ago and someone did it, they auto adjust for extra weight in the car but they need to be calibrated right in the first place as they can be too low or high.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 14 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Has on 14 June 2005

i think everyones on the spa trip 04 had theirs fall off as soon as we arrived in france heheh
lol, you mean those bits of tape that were not quite certified to 140mph!!

hehehe i did like the "bits of tape"......roll of black tape wasnt it :p

BMW 120i Sport

You can manually adjust the height of the xenons on the 182, i had to do it because my right hand light was pointing a bit too low.

If anyone needs a piccy, ill put one up.

Dirty E91

I thought you needed to by a kit from reanault to change the beams over?

Probably a roll of black tape of something!

Ziel Nurburgring

Yup, having spoken to reanult before i went last time, all they would do is drive your car to a wall and see where they needed to tape off and then use special renault duct tape. Either get the halfords type kit or use tape you cant shift the across for the continent.

In the handbook it says the light adjust dial is on the right side of the steering wheel with the cruise control and traction control buttons. I turn the dial and it dims the displays!

There are no switches/devices inside the car to adjust the Xenons - theyre auto-levelling. You should be able to see them adjusting (very minor) when driving at night when there is a sudden change of car attitude eg. hump back bridge.

Elise/VX220/R26

when your driving in france you need to buy a pair of headlamp deflectors. They are a thin bit of sticky plastic that sticks onto the surface of the headlight (they arent affected by the heat)It supposed to stop the light from spilling to far left. I didnt think they worked too well as obviously the 172 lights are ridiculously bright, but its advisable to fit them as the french police are pretty keen on it

tiTTy & SV650

they auto adjust and they take account of the load in the boot too. Theres a little linkage attached to the rear beam and the floor of the car, when the boots laden it adjusts the beam down.

I broke the wee linkage going over a plastic bottle at about a ton, woops! warranty man is so naive...

dk

911 GTS Cab

i think you can still adjust them manually though incase they arent callibrated right as someone on here found out how to do it.

2012 WRX Waggon

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 15 June 2005

Yup, having spoken to reanult before i went last time, all they would do is drive your car to a wall and see where they needed to tape off and then use special renault duct tape. Either get the halfords type kit or use tape you cant shift the across for the continent.
wont ask how much that special tape is!!

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_G on 15 June 2005
There are no switches/devices inside the car to adjust the Xenons - theyre auto-levelling. You should be able to see them adjusting (very minor) when driving at night when there is a sudden change of car attitude eg. hump back bridge.

There are adjustments in the engine bay to adjust the level.

dk

911 GTS Cab

sorry mate but the normal stickers work, we used them in germany (well before they fell off)

Clio 182 / Lotus Elise S1

Im off to Le Mans on Friday at 5am.... maybe I should have thought about this. But once Im there I wont be doing much driving anyway.. and prob not any at at night. :oops: :)

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 15 June 2005
sorry mate but the normal stickers work, we used them in germany (well before they fell off)

take it you used a beam setter to check this ? ;)

Ive worked at two prestige main dealers both of which sell headlamp masks for continental driving and both manufacturers specify they MUST NOT be used on models with xenon lamps and the AA seem to agree. Xenons and HID lamps arent the same as halogen units in the brightness or beam cast. Part of the reason xenon equipped cars have to have headlamp wash is due to the way crap on the lens can scatter the light, same reasoning behind not using masks.

not a clio anymore

Loony, I understand your point, but what do you do if you want to go to France (lovely country - should go there one day) and there is no such switch to adjust for driving on the right.
That can only mean 2 things:
- you blind people and could *in theory* get a fine in France
- you go to your dealer to adjust the beam for the trip, which obviously mean that you book your car at Renault Shuttle service in Fokelstone 5 minutes before you leave and book it again 5 minutes after your return otherwise you are going to blind the brits .

At least with putting stickers, you are less likely to get a fine (wont comment about light diffusion)
Oh, I still dont wash my headlamp when driving anyway (otherwise it starts leaking)

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 15 June 2005

How many times do i have to tell people on here you DO NOT use external masks/stickers/beam benders on Xenon lights.

They either have to be adjusted by the main dealer or if like in Geoffs BMWs case they have a lever on the back this needs to be flicked before driving abroad. If you dont believe me scroll down to the part on Xenons/HIDs <A target=_blank href= "http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/general_advice.html#GBhere
4 Main dealers have told me (yes, they are renault i know) that the xenons on a 172/182 cant be adjusted for european roads and they would just attach the covers available in halfords etc (os tape them as one said, lol).

I presume that if they were to be adjusted, they would have to rebuild it to french specification and thats like asking an Pig to perform open heart surgery.

C

Cupster

What happens when you lower your xenon clad clios? do the lights tilt down thinking that the boot is heavy!!! Just a thought.

Heres a novel solution if youre all that bothered about a fine DONT DRIVE AT NIGHT ;)

Shall i ask the guys at my local dealer about adjusting the headlamp aim ?