ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on buying a valver

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
Not for me, but my mate has found a cheap valver he wants to look at this weekend.

Apparently it has lots of history, 10 months MOT and a bit of rust around the rear arches. I'm guessing its gonna be very high mileage as well.

What should we be looking out for? What sort of work should have been carried out? There don't seem to be as many valver owners on here nowadays so you don't hear so much about the common problems as you used to.

Any advice?

Cheers

Rick

Rick said:
so you don't hear so much about the common problems as you used to.

Nah, you do.. it's just 172/182 problems far outweigh them now.. so they get lost :rasp:

There are quite a few things to look out for - best to look, then post if something causes concern. Everyone's different!

Few things,
  • Cambelt for instance should be 72k or 5 years, altho.. I'd do it more often than that.
  • Steering play is common and needs a new steering column or it can be welded.
  • Rusty sills and arches
  • PAS pump is noisy standard, but if it's really really noisy may need changing at some point

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
Andyvalver said:
Also, dont worry to much about mileage, buy the best you can.

Problem is, he's looking for the cheapest he can. I'm worried he's going to buy the first one he see's and end up spending loads on just keeping it on the road.

Rick said:
I'm worried he's going to buy the first one he see's and end up spending loads on just keeping it on the road.

^^Usual with valver tbh, no matter how well you 'research' your purchase, they end up being a little bit of a money pit - still bloody good cars mind you, just fragile i'm afraid.