ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on cambelt change please - Mk1

Hi,

My H reg Mk1 Phase 1 (1.2 E type engine) is now on 102K and 16 years old and it is due for another cambelt change.

I want to do this myself as it is a good learning experience and plan to do it over Christmas (that can be the cars Christmas present :) so I have plenty of time if it goes slow/wrong.

Can anyone advise what I should replace? Should I do the water pump at the same time? Anything else while it is all apart?

Where is the best place to get a cambelt kit from and what do they include?

I read that you line up the timing marks on the cam, crank belt and case and then check the flywheel tdc position. Why check the tdc on the flywheel, surely this should be correct if all the other marks line up. What do you do if it isn't?

Where do you lock the crankshaft, I read it is a hole near the starter motor. Is this to the left of the motor as you look from the flywheel end?

sorry for all the questions, want to make sure I get this right. I have read the Haynes manual several times and will keep on reading until I understand everything.

Are there any gotchas when doing this?

thanks,

/Mad

Doing the pumps down to you I would at that age.

Get a Haynes manaul tell you what you need to do.

GSF can probably do the parts you need but I'm afraid I've never done a cambelt myself!

Williamsclio forum might be more help - more hands-on than these mk2 dealer-lovers ;) lol