ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what you're used to I guess, but I've been impressed with both of mine. Things do break but nothing unexpected for 15+ year old cars, they're fairly easy to work on yourself and parts are affordable.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
pretty reliable and cheap to fix when they do go wrong. You have to remember though its a 15+ Year old car, its going to have odd issues here and there, some parts are going to be harder to find (rear ABS sensors and handbrake cables come to mind)

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My clio has had a few niggles, but it's mainly age related wear to things like bushes and suspension components.
If you're looking to buy one things I'd recommend checking are:
No crunches at all from the gearbox. High rpm changes are the most prone, and 3rd gear usually goes first.
Rust, around the fuel filler cap, sills (especially the jacking point) and rear arches.
Cambelt and dephaser are a big job and time bound, so make sure they've been done recently, preferably by someone who knows what they're doing.
Then bonus points for finding one that's had some money spent refreshing suspension and steering components.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
But on condition. Don't be one of those who pays over the odds for a low mileage one then whines it needs all new suspension bushes and belts and god knows what else because nothing has ever been replaced. I've had mine 5 years and done 50k and until this march it only failed with injectors and an alternator. The gearbox then died after 120k, which I advise not replacing yourself! 😂

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Absolutely. These cars can do big milages, and I'd have a 150,000 miler with money spent on servicing and refreshing parts over a 50,000 mile model with all original bits.