ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aftermarket Head Units

197 FF Glacier White
Has anyone come across, or custom fitted a head unit that actually fits the PH2 Clio properly?

I've just fitted an aftermarket one to mine just to see what the sound difference would be like and like all the others with aftermarket units I've seen, it doesn't come close to sitting flush!

G

197 FF Glacier White
No!

The don't fit flush. Every pic I've seen of an aftermarket unit sticks out of the dash a fair bit. Mine is fitted fine, cage is located and the unit is fully engaged. The standard unit is obviously designed to fit perfectly flush. To fit any aftermarket one I've seen, and to have it flush, would involve a rework of the facia/orifice so the unit could physically mate up 10mm or so further back. Anyone done this? I'm not that fussed, the standard is not bad, but the unit I fitted is a hell of a lot better, would be nice to have it look a little more OE in it's fitment.

G

Now Sold :-(
My Alpine fits very well. One of the reasons I picked it over a Pioneer unit. The Pioneer I looked at stuck out about 10mm and looked shocking.

197 FF Glacier White
My Alpine fits very well. One of the reasons I picked it over a Pioneer unit. The Pioneer I looked at stuck out about 10mm and looked shocking.

One of the units I trial fitted was an Alpine, stuck out too much. I like the look of Becker and Blaupunkt equipment as it's very OE looking, The unit I have in now is Blaupunkt, cost me £450 4 years ago, looks like it should be there, other than the amount it sticks out!!!

G

275 Trophy
I've fitted 2 Pioneer HU into 2 different mk2's (ph1's) and they both did exactly as described. Is it just a Pioneer thing then?

Now Sold :-(
One of the units I trial fitted was an Alpine, stuck out too much. I like the look of Becker and Blaupunkt equipment as it's very OE looking, The unit I have in now is Blaupunkt, cost me £450 4 years ago, looks like it should be there, other than the amount it sticks out!!!

G
What model out of interest. I know the models with flip out screen are poor as far as the amount they stick out.

197 FF Glacier White
What model out of interest. I know the models with flip out screen are poor as far as the amount they stick out.

Not sure what model the Alpine is, it's about a year old, not mine though and it's no longer here, I'll find out if you like. The Blaupunkt is a flip down jobby, Travel Pilot, four years old or so. Looks perfect other than the amount it sticks out. Looking into this http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/becker-grand-prix-7990-yellow-i7912.html

Just been shown a pic of one fitted to a PH2, sits almost perfect. Quality item too.

Listerine & Poledo
if you have a dash-top display, which I'm guessing you do, I'd have put a bigger priority in choosing a HU that keeps that working.

I know Alpines do, but can't speak of others

197 FF Glacier White
if you have a dash-top display, which I'm guessing you do, I'd have put a bigger priority in choosing a HU that keeps that working.

I know Alpines do, but can't speak of others

Do they now! I didn't know that, puts a different view on things to a point.

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
They can with a display stalk adaptor for about £85 ... displays radio station, track names on ipod and bluetooth operation.

Only genuine Alpine one will work, any aftermarket adaptors will display nothing or "ALPINE" or similar on the clock screen.

Good bit of kit if you want to keep OEM functionality, but expensive for essentially a harness with 1 pcb.

Listerine & Poledo
yep, they're not the cheapest bits of wire in the world, mine was £75.

Can't remember the model of my Alpine, but I use the dash-top-display and then set the HU to "blackout" when not in use. Looks a lot better than having led's flashing away all time.

1.2 Renault Clio Exp
Mine fits flush
i have alot of wires in the back
stalk adaptors bluebooth
was hard to fit but does
When i got the car someone had cut out some of the trim and i think thats why it fits flush