ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air box screw dropped :(

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Was checking the ITG panel filter earlier to make sure it was ok and as I was unscrewing the very front screw, I bloody dropped it didn't I. I think it has found it's way into the undertray area via the front panel section. Do you reckon it will just fall out whilst driving?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
which one is the drip tray? would i know it as the undertray or do you mean the silver thin panel underneath which sort of attaches to the bumper lip?

Titanium 182
which one is the drip tray? would i know it as the undertray or do you mean the silver thin panel underneath which sort of attaches to the bumper lip?

The bit underneath the sump to catch oil drips. Its got a bit you can take out to access the sump plug just take the whole thing off.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
The bit underneath the sump to catch oil drips. Its got a bit you can take out to access the sump plug just take the whole thing off.

thought so, damn i haven't got my axle stands with me at the moment. most likely to be in there then?

Titanium 182
Well everything tends to fall down to there eventually :rasp: if not you can have a look from underneath at the very least.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yup, reckon it'd be ok to weekend if i can't sort it until then? i knew i shouldn't have lent my axle stands out! to bad there's a beetle stuck on them at the moment, not like i'd could even go grab them back!

depends where it's gone but, if you don't find it now, chances are you'll never see it again

it's nice to find stuff that drops off whilst working but, just a screw, not worth worrying about:)

JB

RB 182 Cup
I did the same and when I drove off it fell out onto the road. If you're working in the engine bay where the screws are in an awkward position tie a length of sewing thread from the screw to a finger, then if it drops you can just pull it out again.

I was recently fitting a dump valve with a friend to his Meg 225 and when screwing in the blanking plate we would of lost each screw at least once had they not been tied to my fingers.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I did the same and when I drove off it fell out onto the road. If you're working in the engine bay where the screws are in an awkward position tie a length of sewing thread from the screw to a finger, then if it drops you can just pull it out again.

that's a bloody good idea that is. i'll remember that one.

well if plenty of you have dropped them, and never been retreived i don't think i'll worry too much about it. i'll whip it off to have a look still just in case!

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I was recently fitting a dump valve with a friend to his Meg 225 and when screwing in the blanking plate we would of lost each screw at least once had they not been tied to my fingers.

I have read this about 4 times.....

Are you actually saying you tied screws to your fingers? Are they the words that are actually coming out of your mouth??!

Honda & VW
Originally Posted by Grumman

Are you actually saying you tied screws to your fingers? Are they the words that are actually coming out of your mouth??!

Must be some sort of take on Edward Scissor Hands?

Or you could use magnetized screw bits.

Lol I don't think he means he screwed them in with his fingers. Just that they were like a fail safe if he dropped one (like a camera strap).

JB

RB 182 Cup

Well I did just say it...

Why so incredulous? With a length of thread yes, plenty of slack.

tiTTy & SV650
Magnetic tools FTW,

at least you didn't drop it inside the air intake, even if you did with the throttle closed you'd find it before having to resort to major surgery!