ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con condensor and TDC Crank Sensor problems

Renaultsport Clio 182
Hi, having just got my timing belts changed and the 50k service done for a total price of £1000 at a dealer, I've now been told that I need a new TDC Crank Sensor as my car intermittently does not start first thing in the morning.

Additionally, my air con is not working and have been advised that there are punctures in the condensor under the front bumper. This is the second condensor unit I've had. I had it replaced 2 years ago under warranty, but as the air con has not worked for a good six months, the life of the unit isnt very good! Appaprantly there is no shielding around the condensor and it sits open the road (stones and all).

So, I've been quoted £180 to replace the TDC Crank sensor and £490 to replace the condensor (again).

Are these prices fair, or where can I get them done cheaper?

Alternatively, can someone guide me as to exactly how to clean the TDC Crank sensor only? I saw the AA do it 2 years ago when I had the same non-start issues (that time it refused to start at all) and remember it was quite simple - if only I could work out where and what the sensor is under my bonnet!! I'm totally non-technical.

Considering my '04 182 is barely worth 4k these days, I think I'm just throwing money away now :(

2003 Clio 172
I would firstly try and naffle a condensor from one of the multitude of cars being broken here

And cleaning the crank sensor is a piece of pee.......pretty much between the airbox and the engine.....its down at the gearbox and is on a wee bracket that looks like a frown.

Think its 2 10mm bolts holding it in, unplug it and give er a clean

Im also sure you can buy a new one elsewhere than Reno for much cheaper like here

Have a go chap

Jj

Nissan 350z
^ Do not get that part. Thats the old style (which will be currently fitted to your car) and Renault have revised the part, its blue the new one and about £50.

If your a paid up member i did a small guide on changing the TDC sensor *here* however you can use the same method if you simply want to try cleaning it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, first off, do NOT pay that, unless you are technically inept and basically can do nothing yourself.... ;)

If you want it sorted that badly mate, this is what you should do....

Become a fully paid up member on here, this will allow you to post in the trader section, post in "cliospares" and request a condenser, should be somewhere in the reigon of £50 delivered.

Go to Renault and order a new crank sensor.

Once you've got these parts, PM me. You can drive over here and I'll do both for you, all for the price of a new trolley jack and axle stands as I've just broken mine (and we'll need them to work on your car) ;)

Total cost should be under £150 ;)

Oh, and the reason I offer is because I just changed the condenser on mine and have done a crank sensor recently :)

182 cup
Bought a new crank sensor and modified loom from Renault recently and was 68 all in. Took me and hour to fit, saved 120!!!