ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air Con not particularly cold...

....and just had it re-charged 2 weeks ago, with no leaks on the system either before you 'spot' the obvious!

Bought my Phase 2 172 at back end of last summer, so didn't really use it and so not noticed until now.

As stated, had it re-charged a few weeks ago when it went in for a service in anticipation of the hot weather, but it just does not really cool down all that much at all.

Any ideas? Over winter I was using it to heat the cabin, and the temperature does rise and fall when you adjust it, fan works at different speeds etc. and it can be directed correctly to feet, windscren etc.

To all intents and purposes it works, but even with it set at 'min' the air doesn't seem any cooler than ambient air temperature coming throughfrom outside. Tried re-circulating the air too, but if anything it makes it slightly worse!

Last edited:
  clio 182 black /gold
Mine used to blow warm air. I had 530 grams of gas weighed in tonight. My brother said it was almost empty. No signs of a leak. I never knew it could loose so much gas. It was gassed about 18 months ago.

PH1 172 Sport
If its not used often then the seals dry up and it will leak gas. You should use at least once a week (preferably on every journey even if only for 5-10 minutes and even in the winter) to keep the seals well lubricated.

Also before anyone says you can use the aircon in the winter but just have it to blow out hot air. The car will actually demist quicker with the aircon on during in the winter anyway!

182 Sport 2.0I
I also have s**t Aircon, Mine is a 182. Really is rubbish, just blows the same as without it on. Would you recommend the same procedure? Take it to a local Aircon service place?

1998 BMW e46 323i
Mine works well, better when recirculating, but I've always used it at least once a week... Never been regassed.

If its not used often then the seals dry up and it will leak gas. You should use at least once a week (preferably on every journey even if only for 5-10 minutes and even in the winter) to keep the seals well lubricated.

Also before anyone says you can use the aircon in the winter but just have it to blow out hot air. The car will actually demist quicker with the aircon on during in the winter anyway!

Like I said though, when they re-gassed and checked the system they said there were no leaks which is what's puzzling me....

PH1 172 Sport
Like I said though, when they re-gassed and checked the system they said there were no leaks which is what's puzzling me....

Sorry my post was aimed towards Leeshez. Can you hear the clutch engaging when you turn it on?

Clio 182FF
Air con is meant to be regassed/serviced every 2 years. When I got mine it was s**t so I had a mobile air con repair guy come and fix it. Cracking job he did too! I had a cracked pipe and you could hear the gas slowing escaping. On the minimum setting it chucks out at around 8 to 10 degrees.

Sorry my post was aimed towards Leeshez. Can you hear the clutch engaging when you turn it on?

Sorry, misunderstanding on my part! I'm a bit of a mechanical r****d I'm afraid, what should the clutch sound like when it comes on? Basically there is no difference in noise if I switch from just the fans to Aircon, if I switch Aircon on from nothing then everything comes to life etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Air con is meant to be regassed/serviced every 2 years. When I got mine it was s**t so I had a mobile air con repair guy come and fix it. Cracking job he did too! I had a cracked pipe and you could hear the gas slowing escaping. On the minimum setting it chucks out at around 8 to 10 degrees.
If you don't have a leak in your system your air con gas will never need re-gassed. This is fact.

A leak could be a seal, pipe, compressor ect... I've seen this misconception in a few threads now and with kwik s**t offering re-charges and stuff lots are people are doing it thinking it's going to make their air con colder.

Clio 182FF
If you don't have a leak in your system your air con gas will never need re-gassed. This is fact.

A leak could be a seal, pipe, compressor ect... I've seen this misconception in a few threads now and with kwik s**t offering re-charges and stuff lots are people are doing it thinking it's going to make their air con colder.

Never knew that. I assumed it would get low after a time. Learn something every day! Funnily enough, it was Crap fit that told me that it should be done every 2 years...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lol yeah they've been telling a lot of people that, that's an easy £30 for something that's not needing done.

Quite often it doesn't work is because there is a leak or it hasn't been on for a year since last summer!

Mines took 2/3 days to get ice cold.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Mine's colder now than it was the other week I'm sure,... I pity the 172 cup owners just now. FACT!

172 sport
I had a regas in April 09 then again in June 09! Free of charge but I will see if it works any better. They filled it with green liquid which shows up under ultra violet light, they could'nt see any leaks. Told me to check it every day and if the performance drops to take it back and find the leak by looking for this green liquid. Will see how things go.