ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con problem - condenser snapped at base

Monaco 172
Whilst trying to find a rattle over the weekend I found that the two brackets that are fixed to the bottom of the air con condenser, which hold it in place, have both snapped.
This means the condenser is only attached at the top, leaving the bottom half to swing backwards and forwards, banging around and making a right racket. I've also noticed the air con only working intermittently.

So a few questions:

Can these brackets be welded back onto the condenser? Or would welding damage the unit?

Does this get hot at all (the condenser?), i.e. too hot for me to cable tie it in place for now?

Does the fact that the air con smells, and only works some of the time indicate that the condenser has smashed itself in and needs replacing?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hi mate....

These brackets would indeed be welded back on but with it being Ali, (I think) it'd have to be a very specific type of weld. Personally, if it's possible, use some metal cable ties (tie wraps I believe) to hold it in place, as long as the top brackets are still functioning I'm sure it'll be fine.

How exactly does the AC only work some of the time?

If you take the car to kwik fit (yes, kwik fit) they can pressure test the system etc, but it'll be £50 if the system's fine as they'll fill it up.

If the system isn't fine and there's a leak, they empty the system, put some dye through and identify the leak, I can then advise on how to best go about fixing.

Hope that helps :)

Monaco 172
Magic, cheers mate.
What I meant was that it sometimes blows cold, and sometimes it just pumps out hot air, even with it set on 16 degrees (or mini).

I'm not bothered about having it on in winter really (although its better at demisting than just blowers), I just don't want to damage it (further) by having it slamming around as I drive along.. it also makes a hell of a 'clanging' noise everytime it smacks into the metal work.

I'll get down to kwik fit at some point, but if I can just secure it in place till after xmas that'll do me :)

172/1.2/E30
Magic, cheers mate.
What I meant was that it sometimes blows cold, and sometimes it just pumps out hot air, even with it set on 16 degrees (or mini).

I'm not bothered about having it on in winter really (although its better at demisting than just blowers), I just don't want to damage it (further) by having it slamming around as I drive along.. it also makes a hell of a 'clanging' noise everytime it smacks into the metal work.

I'll get down to kwik fit at some point, but if I can just secure it in place till after xmas that'll do me :)

Could be a faulty air mixture flap motor/gearing. Common problem on Clios with AC. Solution should be in here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...t-air-out-of-heater!&highlight=hot+air+heater

Monaco 172
That sounds exactly like mine, I'll take a look at it when I next get the chance. Thanks mate :)