ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air Filter or Induction Kit?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hey,

Ive been thinking of buying an induction kit for my 1.2 16v Clio for a little while now. Not because I want any better performance as I know that just shouldnt be expected but because I want it to sound a bit more than it does currently. Basically, Ive been told im better off buying a performance air filter rather than an induction kit?
I am considering this, as Ive noticed I will need to buy an adapter plate to fit the induction kit, where as the filter is a straight swap.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Last edited:
A panel filter would probably give you a slightly better gain, but a enclosed induction would probably give you the same gain with a little noise.

People are skeptical about open filters and all the " Heat soak " etc, but i personally dont see the problem, a open filter will give a fantastic noise, and with a stainless steel heat shield (about £13) should give a small gain aswell :)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
A panel filter would probably give you a slightly better gain, but a enclosed induction would probably give you the same gain with a little noise.

People are skeptical about open filters and all the " Heat soak " etc, but i personally dont see the problem, a open filter will give a fantastic noise, and with a stainless steel heat shield (about £13) should give a small gain aswell :)

Dont want to sound like a slow one, because I dont have alot experience when it comes to this kind of thing. But whats an open filter compared to just changing the standard filter?

White Sti Hatch
Open filters just a cone sittin in the pay sucking in hot air, enclosed is where said cone or whatever shape in enclosed in a houseing with a cold air feed to it.

Dont want to sound like a slow one, because I dont have alot experience when it comes to this kind of thing. But whats an open filter compared to just changing the standard filter?

Changing the standard filter would just be using a filter of the standard design, but with slightly better flow than a normal OE one from a motor factors for example. K and N, Pipercross, BMC make performance ones.

An open filter gets rid of all the standard filter housing, and just puts a "open filter" on the end of the throttle body. Now heat soak is when the radiating heat from the engine, is sucked into the filter, and this causes bad performance as hot air isnt as dense as cold air, so there is basically less oxygen in hot air.

A heat shield will reflect some of this heat, and some extra ducting would also provide a supply of cold air.

Enclosed are what i would go for, not as loud as a open filter, but will give a better gain, and still sound good. look at ITG, BMC, Raceland etc

White Sti Hatch
Changing the standard filter would just be using a filter of the standard design, but with slightly better flow than a normal OE one from a motor factors for example. K and N, Pipercross, BMC make performance ones.

An open filter gets rid of all the standard filter housing, and just puts a "open filter" on the end of the throttle body. Now heat soak is when the radiating heat from the engine, is sucked into the filter, and this causes bad performance as hot air isnt as dense as cold air, so there is basically less oxygen in hot air.

A heat shield will reflect some of this heat, and some extra ducting would also provide a supply of cold air.

Enclosed are what i would go for, not as loud as a open filter, but will give a better gain, and still sound good. look at ITG, BMC, Raceland etc

BMC CDAs give a good grunt or at least mine does on my 1.6 :) but there not cheap mind you !

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Ok thanks lads. So bascially im best off with what I my mate told me, just to change the standard air filter with a performance one?

Ok thanks lads. So bascially im best off with what I my mate told me, just to change the standard air filter with a performance one?

Yes but it wont give it any noise, could drill holes in the air box lid (90s mod! lol) But if you want a cheap enclosed one then look at halfords lol

Ripspeed do a fake version of the BMC CDA, its £40, it basically the same, just without being made of real carbon fibre, and the construction isnt as good.

Still nothing wrong with it imo and its still built from the same principle and is of the same design :y:

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Yes but it wont give it any noise, could drill holes in the air box lid (90s mod! lol) But if you want a cheap enclosed one then look at halfords lol

Ripspeed do a fake version of the BMC CDA, its £40, it basically the same, just without being made of real carbon fibre, and the construction isnt as good.

Still nothing wrong with it imo and its still built from the same principle and is of the same design :y:

Ok, and wheres the best place to buy an atapter plate from? lol, sorry i feel so dumb :eek:

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Not really upto speed on clios specifically yet, dont know what you mean by adapter plate, will learn something new here :)

Is it like an adapter ring?

Ummm hard for me to explain without pics, maybe someone who knows will explain but bascially unlike my mate who drive pugs and fords its not as simple as removing the old induction pipe and filter, on an MK2 clio its alot different, i'll have to take some pics I think.

Ummm hard for me to explain without pics, maybe someone who knows will explain but bascially unlike my mate who drive pugs and fords its not as simple as removing the old induction pipe and filter, on an MK2 clio its alot different, i'll have to take some pics I think.

KK, used to other cars, will have to learn clios :p

White Sti Hatch

You can get them from K-Tec but they aint cheap !

White Sti Hatch
Dunno you might very well do ! i dont know the Ph2 engine bay at all so im not much help nethin bout the Mk3 i could tell you though lol !

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Basically if you have a pre 2004 MK2 Clio then you will need a plate adapter if your going to fit an induction kit.

Stagecoach Ticket
do what bio said. chuck a cheap performance panel filter in there then drill the air box with 6 holes ( 3 lines of 3) will get a good noise and good flow if u change the pipe aswell it proberly wouldent be far off a pipercross viper etc in terms of performance most induction kits dnt do huge amounts

Clio 182 with cup kits
panel filter all the way. better at doing the job. Unless you have a turbo iirc you can get power losses with induction kits. Also they tend to be more expensive.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Ok, I may do that then, but when I come to resell my car in a couple of years how easy is it to get hold of a new, unholed air box? lol

If it's purely for noise, and your not bothered about mayble losing 1 - 2 bhp then just stick an open cone in it.