ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag/Service light, HELP!

Vdub Golf
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any help, I purchased a 2002 Renault Clio Dynamique which needed quite abit of work doing.

The airbag and service light were on when I purchased the car, the two front seats were ripped down the seams but no indication the airbags had deployed and the rear passenger side seatbelt wouldn't retract along with some mechanical issues.

I changed both front seats and the airbag light was still on. So I replaced the airbag ecu with one from a breakers yard, still no change.

Then I had all the wires checked under the seats again and the drivers side seemed abit iffy, so the clips were cut off and the wires were connected with block connectors (will these work ok? or should I cut these off and solder?). After that I noticed the airbag light now flashes once before sticking on when the ignition is turned on (not sure if this means i'm getting somewhere ?).

So today I decided to buy a rear seatbelt and pretensioner (where i assume the old one had activated due to the belt not retracting) and fitted that, which made absolutely no difference.

After this I tried another fully working airbag ecu from my daily clio (same model, part number) and still the airbag light was on.

While I was at it I decided to test the airbag ecu I purchased from the breakers previously on my own daily clio to make sure it was working and it caused the airbag/service light to appear. So I was either sold a dud airbag ecu or maybe the pretensioner before it was changed triggered it ? The light on my daily went back out after putting my original ecu in.

So I will be testing any fixes with the airbag ecu from my daily before buying a replacement.

I've read up the wires under the passenger side seat are another common problem, I'll solder these together tomorrow or are block connectors fine to use ?

Is there anything else worth checking ? I'm running out of ideas and patience with this car and can't wait till its fixed and I see the back of it.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to make sure I listed everything i've tried and any problems i've encountered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.