ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ajusting bolt spacing?

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Has anyone drilled out coilies/uprated shocks from 52mm to 54mm? Is it possible? Is it safe? @)

Fed up of not being able to find decent cheapish second hand shocks for my ph1 172 ;(

TTRS & V50
How are you finding trouble getting 54mm fitment coilovers, theres loads.

Theres not many 52mm fitment coilovers. I dont see the problem. Making 52mm to 54mm on the struts is a waste of time/money/coilover.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
What about a 58mm spacing (1.2 fitment) down to a 54mm?

I'm not having trouble finding them, I just don't want to buy cheap g-maxx rebrands or spend 700+ on H&R's/FK's etc so am looking for decent coilies second hand.

TTRS & V50
LOL hang on.

you dont wanna buy cheap coils, but you dont wanna spend 700+ so what are you thinking your going to get ? kemixx coils ?

fks are 500 !

Its absolutely bizzare to change bolt spacing and going to the hassle of doing it, when theres perfectly good coils out there.

Its just beyond me.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Like I said, i'm after second hand decent coilies. I'm tight fisted - can't come to grips with spending that much on coilies. How many times do I have to say this? It's not that hard to understand, surely.

For example I just missed out on a set of H&R's second hand for 370 odd. That's the sort of thing i'm after, however there's a few second hand cup coilies/sus and 1.2 spax etc knocking about at a decent price, so I wanted to know if it was possible and how much it would cost to get one of the bolt holes drilled out.

TTRS & V50
well to get them drilled out properly it will cost a fair old bit.

and by the time you've done it its barely worth doing.

but if your tight fisted then go for it :S

S1 16v 106 Rallye
That's the sort of answer I was looking for in the first place, but I wanted to know if say, the FK (for example) coilovers they do for the 1.2's etc are any different from the sports other than the bolt spacing? If not, I personally couldn't see having one of the holes drilled up/down would cost much or even take much doing yourself. Since 172/182 non-cup second hand sus gets swiped straight away as soon as they come up and the 1.2/cup sus seemed to go cheaper considering less people were after them, then it might work out easier/cheaper.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
So how much is it to get it done? Or how hard is it to do it yourself? Is it thick metal? Would my step drill do it? :)

TTRS & V50
Wouldn't want to give you advice on the actually drilling. Cause if you f**k up, you've f**ked the strut.

That's why i see it pointless.

TTRS & V50
For sale section, lmao. Or scrappy.

This is my last post in this topic, but as a note, you really shouldn't skimp on suspension as its a vital point of the car, keeping you on the road and alive.

Good luck.

Lots of Alfas
This depends on how adjustable they are and what one you get but coilovers designed for a 1.2 may not be rated or will be hard to adjust for a 172. The 172 is a lot heavier at the front, so for example if the coilovers will go down 60mm for a 1.2, they will probably go down 80mm on a 172.