ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alarm playing up

Clio 172 sport
Hi Guys, new on here because i need some help please. I have a 2001 172 sport mk2 ph1.

my alarm has started going off for no reason when the car is moving and the indicators flash when i drive sometimes. can anyone tell me a reason for this and if its a common fault. the dealer in cambridge is worse than usleless and says i should change everything till the fault goes.

I was told the alarm is a cobra but it works off the renault key. is that right ?

any help would be great, thanks.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Mike, Welcome to CS....

I had this problem on my Sons 172, drove him mad. The siren had got wet and the alarm just went haywire. The Cobra unit is fitted at Southampton when the cars are imported and its obvious they have a limited time and budget to fit them as the quality of the install is very poor. Cobra alarms are pretty crap anyway even if fitted properly.

I removed it completely and fitted a Clifford alarm. Problem solved , not had a problem since.

Have you tried Bartech in Cowley Road, Tino the guy who runs it, was head techi at Wests for 10 years and really knows his Clio's.
He has done all the servicing and mechanical work on my Sons car and he is brilliant, and very reasonable with his pricing.

Where are you in Cambridge, I will PM my phone number, give me a call and lets see if we can get you going......I could strip that Cobra out in 20 mins if you are OK with not having an alarm.

The OEM immobiliser is pretty much safe as far as stopping the car from being driven off......up to you....give me a call..

Clio 172 sport
Wow ! respect ! what a board this is.
posted my problem at lunch time and got it sorted in 3 hours, thanks very much brian that was great of you.
i think you should be done with the trades description act tho, you said it would take you 20 mins and it only took 15 :) lol
never seen a car come apart that fast and go back together, brill !

thanks for the ride in your porshe that was absolutely awsome i will have to sandpaper the grin off my lads face. i cant believe how quick that thing is i am gob smacked. next time i see one at the lights ill just leave it be.
cheers mate, will let you know when i got the money and get you to fit the cliford.

Yep its a Cobra alarm fitted by Renault fitters when they come into the country.

You need to get an electrical to have a look the alarms probaly got wet of thrown a short.