ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All electric Mustang Mach E

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Ford has unveiled its all-electric Mustang Mach E at a glitzy event in Los Angeles that included an appearance by actor Idris Elba.

The top-range version of the car can travel up to 370 miles on a full charge and recharge 57 miles (92km) of range in 10 minutes on a high-power charge.
There are buttons in place of conventional door handles and storage space under the front bonnet.

The various models can accelerate from 0-60mph in about eight seconds.
In comparison, the Tesla Model 3 can do 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds.

_109729687_mediaitem109729686.jpg

_109729691_ford_mustang_mach-e_front_space_19.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Seen that, how Ford thought they could call it a Mustang is beyond me. If they made it a new model it would be more acceptable.

I reckon they should have let us have them in RHD from about 2005 onwards. I've seen current 5.0 one in RHD and I like it, but they're a bit old hat now.
The Ecoboost and now this electric one don't appeal to me what so ever.

Clio
Im no expert but pepole who like mustangs aint gonna want it to be electric .

Surely its like trying to flog a cheeseburger to a vegetarian!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Lets be honest here, this type of car isn't aimed at the likes of us, the normal car enthusiast. They're aimed at the normal car driving family, and as much as we don't like it, electric cars are coming and the market deems that SUVs and crossovers are what the bulk of the car buying public are asking for.
The name largely is irrelevant, and Ford see it as it will entice more buyers than those that it will discourage. It uses styling ques from its flagship car and uses name association with its flagship vehicle, prospective buyers love that.
Ford is an American brand and the US loves the Mustang name, so the target market is perfect.
Of course there will be the "Its not a Mustang if its not a V8" brigade. Yet if you see that then you're missing the point and this car is not aimed at you.
If im honest, i'll stick my neck out here and say its probably one of the best looking SUVs out there.

I'm a Porsche nut and when first released, saw no reason for the likes of the Cayenne. It had no place in the Porsche brand for me. However its cars like that have helped financially bolster the company which has allowed them to stay profitable. Profitable that it can then continue to make the GT3s and exciting cars that i am interested in.

So like it or not, the electric vehicles are coming and Ford need to be a key player in that market in order to survive.
The motor industry as a whole is at its largest crossroads since the invention of the combustion engine.
Cars like this will keep cars like the V8 Mustang, F series trucks and RS products around for as long as possible.

Personally i think they have done a great job. :)

mach e.JPG

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If someone could make a hybrid car, that doesn’t cost a small fortune, that I can charge at home, will do about 80miles on pure electric. Then when I want to go further has a small petrol/Diesel engine that would be great.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Lets be honest here, this type of car isn't aimed at the likes of us, the normal car enthusiast. They're aimed at the normal car driving family

Well sort of, but also no.

Prices are not yet confirmed but will start at around £40,000, rising to about £60,000

That still firmly places it in the upper-middle class family bracket, another flash motor for the yummy mummies of Cheshire to roll around in.
Even the stupid press photo is of the well-healed having a good time.

mach-e-jpg.jpg

The Average family have a pretty simple request.

If someone could make a hybrid car, that doesn’t cost a small fortune, that I can charge at home, will do about 80miles on pure electric.
Then when I want to go further has a small petrol/Diesel engine that would be great.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have a problem with Ford creating electric vehicles or who they are aimed at, they just shouldn't of used the Mustang name.

@DrR you have a few options, a used BMW i3 REX suits what you are after.

With cars like the VW ID3 coming shortly and current cars like the Tesla 3 and Hyundai Kona etc the cost of electric cars will start to come down. Cars like the new 208 and Corsa are good commuter vehicles with decent enough range.

If someone could make a hybrid car, that doesn’t cost a small fortune, that I can charge at home, will do about 80miles on pure electric. Then when I want to go further has a small petrol/Diesel engine that would be great.
BMW i3 REX does just that

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
But an i3 is hideous and to small.

Well you never specified any further requirements, depends on your budget really. The i3 is actually quite spacious inside, there are other cars that would still meet your criteria on range.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
With cars like the VW ID3 coming shortly and current cars like the Tesla 3 and Hyundai Kona etc the cost of electric cars will start to come down. Cars like the new 208 and Corsa are good commuter vehicles with decent enough range.

The issue I have with alot of electric cars (apart from all the obvious ones) is that when someone finally cracks the winning formula, all current cars will become completely worthless, essentially overnight.
When someone starts selling an average family hatchback, that doesn't cost the earth with 400-500 mile range and reasonable re-charge time, everything that comes before will be straight on the scrap pile.

I can see it happening in the next decade, which doesn't seem amazingly green tossing these cars away like an old mobile phone.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
One of the things that bugs me at the moment is the fact that OEMs are making bespoke platforms for their EVs. While I understand that the architecture can be quite different in an EV, it seems very wasteful. ICE cars are going to be here for a long time yet, especially in hybrid form, so why make separate EV platforms? Hyundai have the right idea with the IONIQ. By no means a pretty car, but it supports both hybrid and full EV. We keep getting told that EVs are supposed to save the planet, but wasting resources on making two different platform types is hardly a good use of resources.

What we need is a car that is exactly like a Golf, but has an electric powertrain with similar range to a petrol car, that costs about £20k. Do that, and people will sign up by the thousand. It doesn't need to look like a spaceship like the i3, it just needs to be a car that happens to be electric.

Also, the fact that a lot of the new EVs are being built into 'SUVs' is also a bit of a joke. Firstly, most of them aren't SUVs at all, as they all appear to have shite ground clearance but, more importantly, basing supposedly environmentally friendly vehicles on a platform which is inherently worse from an efficiency perspective is rather counter-productive. The sooner the ecomentalists remember that SUVs are bad and push them out of fashion again, the better.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The issue I have with alot of electric cars (apart from all the obvious ones) is that when someone finally cracks the winning formula, all current cars will become completely worthless, essentially overnight.
When someone starts selling an average family hatchback, that doesn't cost the earth with 400-500 mile range and reasonable re-charge time, everything that comes before will be straight on the scrap pile.

I can see it happening in the next decade, which doesn't seem amazingly green tossing these cars away like an old mobile phone.

This is a huge issue with EVs in my view. Scrapping existing cars and replacing them with new ones is pretty energy intensive. Also, I recently read something about how we are going to start mining the sea bed for cobalt in order to satisfy demand for battery production. Doing that without destroying the wildlife seems to be extremely challenging and really does make you question whether batteries are the way forward. We're replacing digging for one fuel (oil) to digging for another (raw materials for batteries). I'm not entirely convinced that that's really a solution in the long-term.

Sadly, the whole EV thing stinks of the diesel-con of a few years ago. Politicians have latched on to battery-powered cars and declared that they must be the future. I think we probably need to have a bit more of an open mind than that, given the mistakes we have made already.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
One of the things that bugs me at the moment is the fact that OEMs are making bespoke platforms for their EVs. While I understand that the architecture can be quite different in an EV, it seems very wasteful. ICE cars are going to be here for a long time yet, especially in hybrid form, so why make separate EV platforms? Hyundai have the right idea with the IONIQ. By no means a pretty car, but it supports both hybrid and full EV. We keep getting told that EVs are supposed to save the planet, but wasting resources on making two different platform types is hardly a good use of resources.

What we need is a car that is exactly like a Golf, but has an electric powertrain with similar range to a petrol car, that costs about £20k. Do that, and people will sign up by the thousand. It doesn't need to look like a spaceship like the i3, it just needs to be a car that happens to be electric.

Also, the fact that a lot of the new EVs are being built into 'SUVs' is also a bit of a joke. Firstly, most of them aren't SUVs at all, as they all appear to have shite ground clearance but, more importantly, basing supposedly environmentally friendly vehicles on a platform which is inherently worse from an efficiency perspective is rather counter-productive. The sooner the ecomentalists remember that SUVs are bad and push them out of fashion again, the better.

The need for new platforms is basically packaging. Its a lot harder and overall less efficient for the vehicle design to try and cram it in an existing platform. The "Roller skate" type layout keeps all the batteries and powertrain low in the vehicle and provides the best driving dynmics. You need it all low as most EVs are 2 tons and above.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
The need for new platforms is basically packaging. Its a lot harder and overall less efficient for the vehicle design to try and cram it in an existing platform. The "Roller skate" type layout keeps all the batteries and powertrain low in the vehicle and provides the best driving dynmics. You need it all low as most EVs are 2 tons and above.

Oh I totally get the reasons for it but, given the whole point of EVs is to be more sustainable, it still seems ridiculous. The carbon footprint of every car would be much improved if we could improve manufacturing efficiency, so having two design teams, two manufacturing facilities, two lots of materials etc etc for two cars that are effectively being made for the same segment by the same manufacturer is about as unsustainable as you can get. Packaging cars is a pain in the arse of course, due to the different powertrains as you point out, and because we keep cramming in more and more stuff, but Hyundai have proven that it's possible, so I don't think other OEMs really have an excuse.

Sadly we come back to the reality of it though, much of the EV transition is driven for the wrong reasons. Car companies want to survive and be seen to be doing the right thing, while governments don't want car companies to go under, as it will mean big job losses. The ultimate solution is for car use to be slashed dramatically, but that's not in the interest of those involved in the decision making. The whole thing is a c**k-up really. Environmental policy and economic policy just don't mix very well.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I have never been a believer in battery powered cars. It's well know the environmental damage producing them causes. In my opinion Hydrogen should be the future.

Manufacturing efficiency is just part of the issue, the infrastructure is another huge part. Alternative powered vehicles need more time to mature in general. The government and car manufactures should of been doing more 10+ years ago to prepare for this. Now there is a big rush to build a usable EV as it's becoming more of a market trend.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I have never been a believer in battery powered cars. It's well know the environmental damage producing them causes. In my opinion Hydrogen should be the future.

Manufacturing efficiency is just part of the issue, the infrastructure is another huge part. Alternative powered vehicles need more time to mature in general. The government and car manufactures should of been doing more 10+ years ago to prepare for this. Now there is a big rush to build a usable EV as it's becoming more of a market trend.

Yeah I think they were definitely ill-prepared in some ways, but we have seen a sudden shift in government positions that now seem to be forcing them to go down the BEV route, even though questions still exist about its long-term viability.

Hydrogen does have potential, especially as it has the capability to power both electric and IC cars but sadly, like with diesel, governments in Europe and beyond have latched onto the idea that BEVs will save the world. I fear that won't be the case and, some years from now, they'll be desperately backtracking.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I think they were definitely ill-prepared in some ways, but we have seen a sudden shift in government positions that now seem to be forcing them to go down the BEV route, even though questions still exist about its long-term viability.

Hydrogen does have potential, especially as it has the capability to power both electric and IC cars but sadly, like with diesel, governments in Europe and beyond have latched onto the idea that BEVs will save the world. I fear that won't be the case and, some years from now, they'll be desperately backtracking.

When are governments not back tracking years down the line? Seriously though, i think the government is pushing for EV's more because it's the most readily available option compared to ICE.

What are the government and local councils doing to help? I still see loads of old buses/taxis etc that smoking everywhere. IMO public transport should be changed to a greener alternative first.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Hydrogen will never happen you might as well give up on that dream. It’s a ridiculous energy source that uses more energy to store and use than it provides.

great in theory

batteries are the way forward unfortunately, maybe not in the form you’re currently aware of though ...

as for the mustang - but stupid calling it a mustang I think but understand why they’ve done it.

obviosuly the name means more to the hardcore than I’d does the mainstream and Ford themselves it would seem

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
And yet, OEMs continue to invest in hydrogen, so there must be some benefits. It mainly seems to be for vehicles that require a longer range. Some seem to be earmarking it for use in commercial stuff.

It's going to be interesting to see how battery technology develops, but it does seem to rely a lot on stuff we dig up from under the ground, which will always be an issue.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh all it really shows to me is something that should come as no surprise. Car companies don’t give a flying f**k about their enthusiasts as they’re vastly outnumbered by the dullards. Dullards who will love telling everyone they drive a Mustang, in the same way that everyone who has an AMG-Sport, M-Sport, S-Line etc will refer to it as an AMG, M3, S4 etc. In fact, I’m surprised there isn’t a Shelby edition with 355/10/30 wheels and carbon ceramic brakes to get your 200bhp car to the shops.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Surely the Zoe is closest to that description atm? It just seems not many people want to pay diesel Clio money for one when they can buy a diesel Clio and not have to worry about any of the EV bolloks.
What sort of servicing or repairs do EVs require? In 20 years time will all the mechanics be out of work and parts suppliers be all but extinct?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
@0ss a middle of the range Iconic DCI with just paint as an extra cost is just under 19k and the new 208 e starts at 25k.

That's a big difference that would take a few years to make it worth while spending the extra cash.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
And that's the EV problem ££££! They are just too damn expensive. And why? It's not like batteries and electric motors haven't been around for donkeys years and cars have had computers controlling them for decades too, Where's all the extra cost come from?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It’s just early adopter tax tbh. If you want to be one of the first EV owners then you have to pay for it. Bit like Apple tax, if you want to be the first to have a feature then you need to spend half as much on an android. Wait, f**k. Never mind.

c**t tax. It’s c**t tax.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
But the Leaf came out in 2010. I'd buy one of those Honda e cars if it was sub £20k, but I reckon it'll be more towards £30🙄.

Edit:
Screenshot_20191119_192258_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That eye sore is Absolute bobbins and I’ve no interest at all.

EV’s won’t be properly mainstream in my lifetime so I’ll just carry on driving exactly what I want until I’m too old and die.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What are the government and local councils doing to help? I still see loads of old buses/taxis etc that smoking everywhere. IMO public transport should be changed to a greener alternative first.

Several are putting in clean air zones to fine the older vehicles entering the city.
I've not seen any announce big investment in public transport infrastructure though, which is what is actually needed.

Councils just don't seem to want to admit that the population has grown, business is located in the city centre and people need to get to f**king work?!?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
And that's the EV problem ££££! They are just too damn expensive. And why?

They're fully luxuried out to begin with.

Do you see any of them rolling around on 14" steelies with AM/FM radio and gash cloth interior?