ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

All new Mk5 Renault Clio

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Popped to my local Renault dealer this evening to see the unveiling of the Mk5 Renault Clio and Clio RS Line along with the all new Renault Zoe.
DSC_7020~2.JPG
DSC_7023~2.JPG
DSC_7012~2.JPG
DSC_7021~2.JPG
DSC_7015~2.JPG
DSC_7025~3.JPG
DSC_7008.JPG
DSC_7026.JPG

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
I went to my local one last night as my clio was in the showroom and to be honest I was actually quite impressed with the RS line. All the gadgets and decent driving position.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
The orange looks so good on the new Clio.

Can you post up any pics of the new Zoe if you have any please.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
s**t I wasn't half wrong.

Wheelbase: almost identical (5mm longer)
Width: almost identical (30mm wider)
Hight: almost identical (9mm shorter)
Length: 253mm shorter

It's basically the same size as a Mk6 Golf now, thats just silly.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
So they’ve given up on RS Clio’s is what you’re saying? The new RS Megane also leaves a lot to be desired!
"As for why the hot Clio has reached the end of the road, Kasai put it down to strict emissions targets, making development of an affordable performance hatch impossible. Kasai said: ‘Today a Clio RS would need very elaborate technology to reach lower CO2 levels. And by keeping the high performance necessary for such a vehicle, you would have to charge such a big premium that those customers would be mostly unable to afford it. At the moment, even if we love sporty cars, as is our history, we can’t find the solution to that equation – it’s impossible. Also, looking at the competition, we don’t see many rivals.’ "

They are replacing it with an RS Zoe, so it does seem very likely we've reached the end of the road.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
"As for why the hot Clio has reached the end of the road, Kasai put it down to strict emissions targets, making development of an affordable performance hatch impossible. Kasai said: ‘Today a Clio RS would need very elaborate technology to reach lower CO2 levels. And by keeping the high performance necessary for such a vehicle, you would have to charge such a big premium that those customers would be mostly unable to afford it. At the moment, even if we love sporty cars, as is our history, we can’t find the solution to that equation – it’s impossible. Also, looking at the competition, we don’t see many rivals.’ "

They are replacing it with an RS Zoe, so it does seem very likely we've reached the end of the road.

Or, to translate Mr. Kasai's statement, "Our petrol engine line-up is a f**king disaster, so I don't have anything to fit into a new R.S. Clio. We did so much damage to the reputation of the fast Clio when we launched the 200EDC that I am too worried about getting spanked by the Ford Fiesta ST and upcoming Hyundai i20N to try again."

In my view, Renault are really missing a trick. They could genuinely push the segment forward with some clever engineering. Take the 1.3-litre turbocharged engine, beef it up a bit, add mild-hybrid tech, and you'd easily get in the ballpark of 200bhp. Not only that, but it could also be used in the Megane and some of the crossover/SUV things in de-tuned form, offsetting the development cost. Ford will be pushing 155PS from the 1.0-litre EcoBoost with mild hybrid added to it, so 200PS from a 1.3-litre is more than possible.

He can't use cost as an argument against the R.S. Clio while pushing an R.S. Zoe as a replacement. I expect the Zoe will be significantly more expensive than it's petrol-powered rivals.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Or, to translate Mr. Kasai's statement, "Our petrol engine line-up is a f**king disaster, so I don't have anything to fit into a new R.S. Clio. We did so much damage to the reputation of the fast Clio when we launched the 200EDC that I am too worried about getting spanked by the Ford Fiesta ST and upcoming Hyundai i20N to try again."

In my view, Renault are really missing a trick. They could genuinely push the segment forward with some clever engineering. Take the 1.3-litre turbocharged engine, beef it up a bit, add mild-hybrid tech, and you'd easily get in the ballpark of 200bhp. Not only that, but it could also be used in the Megane and some of the crossover/SUV things in de-tuned form, offsetting the development cost. Ford will be pushing 155PS from the 1.0-litre EcoBoost with mild hybrid added to it, so 200PS from a 1.3-litre is more than possible.

He can't use cost as an argument against the R.S. Clio while pushing an R.S. Zoe as a replacement. I expect the Zoe will be significantly more expensive than it's petrol-powered rivals.

It's possible now they are working on the Alpine this may also be part of problem, money focused elsewhere within the business. I got this impression from the mk4 too that they had shifted resource/focus/time away and was part of the reason the R.S.16 never came to be.

It really is a shame they've not went down the hybrid route, perhaps they will come to their senses on the mk6 (if the model survives)

Last edited:

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
It's possible now they are working on the Alpine this may also be part of problem, money focused elsewhere within the business. I got this impression from the mk4 too that they had shifted resource/focus/time away and was part of the reason the R.S.16 never came to be.

It really is a shame they've not went down the hybrid route, perhaps they will come to their senses on the mk6 (if the brand survives)

Yeah I think you're right. The Alpine project has taken a lot of resources I should imagine. A slightly odd decision in a way, because you'd think the volume potential in a hot Clio might be better than the A110, but I suspect we'll see some sort of awful Alpine-branded SUV/Crossover thing at some stage too. Sub-brands are all the rage at the moment.

I do wonder if the 1.8-litre turbo from that would work in the Clio. De-tuning that would be an option. I assume the diesel is a 4-pot, so I'm sure the 1.8 petrol would go in. An opportunity missed unfortunately.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I hope all the money they're dumping into Alpine pays off, because so far they've sold next to f**k all.

Roughly 2000 units for all of 2018 across the entire world.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Great, so instead of making a proper RS they've made one that basically gives you 50% of the RS styling and none of the power🤦‍♂️😂

Why cant they just drop a 1.8T in one and behave ffs

Reactions: Gus

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC