ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy bonnet for 182???

Racing Blue 182
As the title says, does anybody know if these are available, or where/if they can be fabricated?

Cheers in advance guys!:)

Racing Blue 182
Thanks guys, I'd heard they were OEM on a few of the early 172's, but just wondered if anyone had ever heard of an aftermarket (but standard looking) one for the 182? As for the weight, obviously I want it to help shed a few pounds, but I know the steel one isn't exactly heavy either! But yeah, alloy one's (like the one on my Subaru Legacy) are a lot lighter...

182 Cup
You could have one fabricated, but for the cost (circa £800) when I was looking, you may as well just buy the lightest carbon bonnet and paint it to match the car.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
they only come on the ph1 dont they mate?

Yep, Like your self i thought how much diffrence can an ali bonnet make.. well i changed Ivan's off here's over from a standard & there was a fair amount of diffrence.. Fiberglass is the way forward for the £££ ;)

Racing Blue 182
Thought about bespoke fabrication, but yep, the £££'s issue is there with that one! As for the Fibreglass idea from Jamesstone - how did I not think of that one!?

Jamesstone - have you done this yourself then???

Racing Blue 182
I guess you're probly right Alex X93, it doesn't really look too promising as far as an Alloy Bonnet is concerned! I've just emailed K-Tec with a few questions about theirs etc. Fitment, Opening, Sprayability, Weight etc. See if/what they come back with, probs in the week.

Thanks alot for the help and advice though chaps!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I havent made one my self, couldnt be doing with all the painting etc for the sake of 3-5kgs, If that! there are easyer ways to loose wait for less £££ belive stream line carbon make a fiberglass bonnet, i think anyway :S

Racing Blue 182
Think this is going to require a little more research! I'll come back to this thread if I come across anything promising! Get a feeling it could take a while though!

Golf GTD Mk7
yeah on the w reg 172 they had an ali bonnet on it, so presumably renault will have a part number for it. Why not get a fibre glass one, or carbon fibre

Racing Blue 182
Love the look of Carbon Weave, but just don't think it would look right with the rest of the car being RB, would leave the underside unpainted though! Want the car to stay looking standard basically.:boring:

If its carbon fibre, avoid any wet lay ones if you're looking for light weight. Proper carbon fibre light weight stuff is all made via either pre-impregnated or autoclaved techniques.

if its just a wet lay bonnet you'd be better off with fibre glass.

Racing Blue 182
Thanks for the advice Paul RN, I'll have to look into this... Does anyone know who does Fibreglass bonnets???

Racing Blue 182
Have had a good look around, and can't seem to find a Fibreglass bonnet for the 182, but have heard back from K-Tec regarding their Carbon Bonnet. As I'm sure you all know, the Carbon bonnet they sell can be painted, fits onto the same connections/catches etc., and in the pics, even houses the windscreen washer sprays in the same place! So basically, it's the same as the OE steel bonnet, with the exception of the material. K-Tec also confirmed that the Carbon bonnet weighs approx. 5kg less than the OE Renault bonnet. So, not a bad weight saving, but a bit of an expensive one nevertheless! Obviously after spraying, it's going to cost the wrong side of £400 (£380+paint & spraying).:dapprove:

Oh well, maybe one day!;)

Lionel Richie
streamline will do a fibreglass one

£500 for -5kg though? extreme! just rip out the interior and go for a dump

Racing Blue 182
Cheers Tigger, that XSport Racing site looks pretty promising! See what they say when you hear from them!:approve:

bic

Land Rover Discovery
we weighed the clio bonnet last night that we have just made for club member 'Panda' and the following results -

Inner panel, untrimmed and unlacquered - 1.48kg
Outer panel (as above) - 1.81kg

Add the weight of lacquer and some adhesive and the catch take off some of the material once trimmed, we hope for it to come in at 3.5kg all in

That is for full carbon pre preg inner and outer panel, £899.99, can also offer a cheaper alternaitve if painting it body colour and dont require us to lacquer the panel, would come in at £700-£750 ready to prime and paint by bodyshop :)

Oh and we can produce a fibreglass version, the last one we did came in at 5.19KG unpainted, £200.00

Cheers

Bic

Cheers Tigger, that XSport Racing site looks pretty promising! See what they say when you hear from them!:approve:

I have one of there carbon kevlar bonnets and hatch fitted to my car and also have the doors to be fitted eventually.

There work is top notch and I can supply pics if required or help with a group buy if required?

:)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have one of there carbon kevlar bonnets and hatch fitted to my car and also have the doors to be fitted eventually.

There work is top notch and I can supply pics if required or help with a group buy if required?

That would be fantastic mate, can you get a few pics up? :D

"Navy" N17 TWO
I was speaking to them on the phone yesterday, the guy didn't know what a 172 was lol

Anyhow, the carbon they do comes in 2 options - you can have it for painting (cheaper option) or with the clear gel coat, which is much more expensive.

You can also have the bonnet with internals (so fitted as a normal part) or without internals (fitted with pins)

Matt Wills
That looks really good, you got any close-up shots of the weave? ;)

I was speaking to them on the phone yesterday, the guy didn't know what a 172 was lol

Anyhow, the carbon they do comes in 2 options - you can have it for painting (cheaper option) or with the clear gel coat, which is much more expensive.

You can also have the bonnet with internals (so fitted as a normal part) or without internals (fitted with pins)

Matt Wills
That looks really good, you got any close-up shots of the weave? ;)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Stealthsport/Bonnet/Bonnet.jpg

That's the best one I've got mate and mine is now painted.

What do you mean by a Carbon top mate?

Very few bonnets are totally carbon fibre as they'd be very expensive so they tend to be a fibreglass bonnet with a sheet of carbon showing the weave on top of them.

Before I had the X Sport one I had one of K-Tec's and it was good but the one I have now is lighter and stronger.