ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloy cleaning..

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
road salt, brake dust and any other ingrimed dirt you can think of! Just used a bit of metal polish on them and its brings them up nicely but might take a while...any other ideas?

Then what to finish them off to protect and make them shine?

I was thinking of using a mild acid with a tooth brush..i kno it doesnt damage the alloys as we've used it for many a year now but i want them to shine like mad!!!

Thanks

wheels3.gif

172 cup'd extreme
polishing kit from thepolishingshop.co.uk £25 everything you need included mops etc then wax them

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
meh, i wanted to do them tomorrow and get all the stuff from my local car shop!i'll have a look though

Megs hot rims, auto glym clean wheels (I water it down a bit) or auto glym engine and machine cleaner. Then maybe a bit of used clay to get any stubbon bits off.

106 GTi
Metal polish is the only way you will clean them up to shine. Some mops that will fit on a drill or such will be the best bet to speed things up.

106 GTi
Autosol/Autoglym metal polish both work as well, almost the same product as far as I can tell.

1.6 focus zetec....
I use hot rims on my wheels (rubbed in with a wash mitt) and then dry them with a water magnet and a coat of AG super resin polish...gets them shiney but they never were as bad as yours lol..

Kiza

106 GTi
The Megs NXT gives a great finish, but does not seem to have the 'bite' the Autoglym does

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
used autosol and auto glym both good! much better with dremmel polishing tool! i use it fof bear metal polishing!

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
righty..i've got lots of pictures to post but i'll start anew thread in a tickle

what i bought;

Meg's Hot Rims
AG Engine cleaner..
AG superresin
2 x autosol
Brasso! (already had this in garage)

What i found worked will for getting the thick of it off was spraying the hot rims on first and srcubbing with a tooth brush then doing the same with the AG engine cleaner.

The lips of the rims cleaned up very well after a lot of elbow grease using brasso. Autosol did f**k all really and was a bit of a waste!

The inside of the rims is still pretty caked up, it doesnt seem to want to come off. i also tried with the pressure washer and using hot rims and the engine cleaner aswel but still no luck.

Any ideas of anything a bit stronger or something that will remove it from the inside of the rim...a technique or something not mentioned above?

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
i've used what ever one says and still no luck :)

EDIT: not tried wonder wheels yet! might have a look round work and have a read which is the strongest!

What you want to get to protect them is chemical guys rimawax,it will protect shine and preserve your wheels,even at hight temperatures,it even reduces the amount of brake dust that will gather on your wheels
Then the next time you go to clean your wheels the brake dust will be easy to take off

Octavia VRS
I used Wonder Wheels on my alloys today, used the wee brush to lather it up and then hosed it off. Took a lot of the baked on brake dust off. I then used AG wheel cleaner. seems to have done a good job.

BTW if using Wonder Wheels, use gloves!

106 GTi
Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner did the trick on the M3 CSL Wheels for me at the weekend. Mixed up 1/10 iirc.

IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9867.jpg

Octavia VRS
Rich did you take the wheels off to get the inner part of the alloy clean? The inner part of my wheels still look slightly covered in brake dust, although it is a lot better than before

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
you diluted it?i just sprayed shite loads on and still did nothing! i need stronger!!!

106 GTi
_Kenny_ said:
Rich did you take the wheels off to get the inner part of the alloy clean? The inner part of my wheels still look slightly covered in brake dust, although it is a lot better than before

Nah did'nt fancy jacking it up and taking them off and risking the owners car.

Lots of APC, and Engine and Machine clener, and soapy water, a cut up sponge to fit inside, old wash mitt, and lots of various brushes to get right in there .... and sore fingers

106 GTi
Crazy Clio said:
was just about to ask if the wheel came off for that!

What tyre dressing did you use?

Tyres cleaned with Megs APC and Super Degreaser.

Dressed with AG Rubber Plus ( trade range product - cleans and dresses) allowed to dry and then a coat of AG Vinyl And Rubber care to add gloss.

Mito Sportiva 135
What I used at work on filthy wheels was:

truck wash - left on for 2 minutes then sprayed off using high pressure hose at high temp
wheel acid - various makes, but strong acids so cant leave on for longer than 2 minutes without risking alloy corrosion, especially on the nuts.
the trick I found was to use a bottle spray to apply the acid as it gets into all the hard to reach area, then using a stiff wheel brush to foam it up
repeat as necessary, then use a car shampoo on a sponge to ensure acid has been thoroughly removed (wouldn't use this on your car afterwards!)
Then a polish, something with a light cut in is good to remove any residual dust "spot" marks as I call them, then finish off with a good quality wax. Haven't used the Rim Wax yet but heard its good stuff.

To be honest the best solution is to prevent brake- dust build up in the first place! But I guess you knew that already, right!:rasp: