ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

alloy wheel cleaner

Can anyone recomend a cleaner that works well ..
I tried one from halfords a bit ago but it wasnt that good..
I tried to clean it yesterday and the brake dust seems to have found a happy home in the wheel..
Elbow grease and hot soapy water would not shift it.

Anyone found one thats really good ??:D

106 GTi

I like autoglym engine and machine cleaner, Shifts stubborn muck and is not acid based like all the purpose made wheel cleaners are - so its kind on your alloy paintwork.

Wonder wheels is what im currently using, and i find this pretty good.

Ive got some meguiars stuff coming back this week though, ill let you know what thats like.

I use autoglym wheel cleaner - used to use wonder wheels but as Chris said it seemed a little harsh so now using autoglym, that may still be a bit harsh too.

if ur wheels arnt in bad nick u could use oven cleaner but dont leave it on to long a few seconds at the most

i find wonder wheels good, too good. i used it on my chrome rims and it took the laquer off and the chrome.

strong stuff

111s

IIRC It says on the wonder wheels box do not use on chrome or un painted surfaces. Ive used it on my wheels for the last 8 months without problems.

Yaris Hybrid

Wonder Wheels for me.

Tried the Meguiars and ended up throwing it away. Despite the hefty warnings on the packet it didnt work.

Ive used wonder wheels which works well

also tried comma, got that from halfords its sh*t hot stuff but nothing seems to shift all the tiny bits of crap.

So my solution to this is...............T-Cut, a million and 1 uses.

Thought it might wreck my wheels but its shifted the stains and the wheels are still fine.

Vry time consuming though

Ha ha, I spent 3 hours on Saturday removing, seriously cleaning, polishing, waxing and refitting my alloys! When I first got the car I waxed the visible surfaces of the alloys - it makes it harder for dirt/brake dust to stick. Then I used an acid-based wheel cleaner - I think it removed all the wax Id put on... it was definately harder to clean the wheels after that.

I used the same cleaner on Saturday to really clean the wheels - worked a treat - it was Turtle Wax Extreme (green bottle, was BOGOF recently). Inner surfaces of the spokes and all. Never gonna use it again though now that Ive waxed the alloys: dirt shouldnt stick as easily.

Oh, and I ran out of time - only got 3 clean wheels, the other ones mingin! :oops:

i find that cleaning them often is the answer, i also polish them with mothers wheel polish (other polishes will do, i.e autoglym, megs etc), this protects them and also you can just wash the brake dust of with ordinary car shampoo.

if i do use a wheel cleaner i find that wilkos alloy cleaner is as good as any, and its only £2, i have tried loads in my time from £1 -£30 and the wilkos one is just as good

I would use wonder wheels if the muck really is that stubborn, but try not to use it too often, as it will eventually ruin your alloys.

Make sure you dont get any on your paintwork and give it a good rinse.

Then, as already mentioned, wax them.

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 17 January 2005
Tried the Meguiars and ended up throwing it away. Despite the hefty warnings on the packet it didnt work.

I tried this too. Might as well spit on your wheels lol

Hi
I use renault Alloy wheel cleaner the 1 they use at the dealers its damn good stuff i water it down a 5ltr Bottle costs

13.40 all in

part number is 7711211570

I know Mike172sport Uses this aswell

Gregg

Cupped 182 with Milltek

Try Zymol,its kind too your wheels and wont take off the Varnish,they also do a spray to put on after your wheels are clean and dry,it coats the wheel and the muck sticks to it and is easier to clean off after. try http://www.vertar.co.ukwww.vertar.co.uk they are superb to deal with.the whole Zymol range is the absolute dogs,used it on my Impreza Turbo and now on my 182.Used to use Autoglym but this is all natural (not a treehugger honest!) stuff.