ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

alloys raise my insurance??WORRIED!!

hi, im 17 just passed my test, iv got a mk1 clio, 1997!! its not exactly good, but i bought some 16inch clio sport alloys for it, and just wondering how much this will add on to my insurance, and is it worth it??:S

RS Megane DCi 175
Could be a fair bit really - not worth the risk fitting them and not declaring them on your policy tho.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i got charged £18 a month for "non factory alloy wheels", "air filter/performance induction" and "lowered/uprated suspension"

that was the day i passed at 17

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I'm 19 years old paid an extra £234 a year for:
17s, lowered, after market rear lights, exhaust, strut brace, carbon bonnet, angel eyes and tints.

Then I hada fullly smoothed in body kit, and it went up £0

All is declared on mine, right down to the silvervison bulbs :) IF your are honest and go into detail, I've found they are ok with you.

I also asked to speak to the "adjudicator" or something like that to confirm all my mods were declared, and then i made note of the operator i spoke too, call number and the time and date just to be safe :)

All calls are recorded, so if i needed to claim and the ywere being c***s, I could just say all mods were declared on whatever date at what ever time ,i spoke to whoever.

Also, My insurance cover note only says "tints, Filter, Exhaust, Alloys, Aftermarket suspension" in the modification place. I phoned up to ask where the rest were and they said they are recorded o nfile, but not classed as a mod.

Also make sure you tell them they are 16" wheels.

172 cup'd extreme
hey bland, who are you insured with? when i passed my test i was with endsleigh and they didnt charge extra for alloys and they were the cheapest around too

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
usually the amount of premium depends...

has the car already got alloys?
are these alloys worth more than the exisiting ones?

mine came standard with 15" alloys. when i put my 17's on they asked how much they're worth...i said how much i bought them for and they said ok it doesnt change it just because my standard ones are worth more!!

172 cup
well i aint told my insurance about nothin i have on my clio. but i only have 17" ,lowered with an induction kit, had a claim and took them off to be safe and they fixed my car and now im still fine:)

tempting!!my insurance is enough as it is.....so i prefer not to tell them...as long as i can get away with it!!!;)

Iceberg 172
hmm i dont think thats a good idea kanue. If you ever have the day when someone slams into you and theres no way you can take the car home then you'll be wishing you'd spent that extra few £ a year.

BMW M135i
This thread reminded me to sort mine out, I declared that I changed my Ph2 Dynamique alloys for the Ph3 Dynamique alloys and it cost me about an extra £8 a month.
Funnily enough after spending 10 mins explaining what colour coding was and them speaking to their underwriters it apparently doesn't need to be declared for some reason I can't remember, something to do with being cosmetic but not looking drastically different or something :S.

This was with norwich union, just took the usually 4 attempts at ringing them to get someone english but once I was through they were great.

Am quite pleased that the colour coding wasn't needed to be declared because that means I can get an ik and get it lowered instead of having to choose between the two so i'm happy and feel safer in the knowledge i'm fully covered.

172 cup
i will tell the insurance in some time but right now im really too busy to.. ill be ok in the mean time :D when i renewl my new insurance

RS Megane DCi 175
Too busy for a 3min phone call? lol
Well it's your choice mate, I ain't telling you what to do!