ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alloys + Stone Chips

Mito Sportiva 135
Two issues here I am combining for the sake of brevity:

1. Noticed one of my alloys seems to have been repsrayed, the area concerned seems to lack the colour and laquer finish of the other wheels. Also, some light curbing on several of the rims. Kind of blended it in using a touch up pen, but want it to look 100%. What are my options? Never worked on wheels before.

2. Stone chips. Got several small chips on my bonnet and front grille, and have used a black touch up pen to cover (although not pearl black pen). Looks ok without the clearcoat over the top - I tried using a bit but seemed to look worse. Is it worth forking out for the Pearl Black pen, and also does anyone have much experience sanding down? I noticed in Halfords earlier they now sell paint protection systems, but can't believe for £30 it can do much good, anyone had any experience with this at all?

Cheers guys.

Mito Sportiva 135
Sweet, cheers Rich.

By the way, as a marketing question, how much do you charge for your "full" detailing service?

I currently charge £50 for shampoo, dry, polish, sealant, wax (paint & wheels), tyres, windows and full interior clean (although I only like to work on relatively ok cars as *still* not part of the PC crew!). Just asking as I have been told my prices are cheap - but as I mainly do it for familly/ friends not too bothered. At work we charge £250 for Diamond Brite application which seems totally excessive to me considering it only takes about 2 hours to do max., and the kit only costs £40 trade price.

I ask as I have a placement for a year at BMW UK starting on monday as part of my degree, but considering starting a premium priced detailing service in my spare time as there seems a massive market for it - people I know would pay £50 just for a good shampoo, tyre dressing, windows and ligh polish, which would only take approximately 1 to 1.5 hours - even taking into account materials and some petrol to drive to the customer this is still a very decent margin. Get a contract from a business to maintain a fleet of prestige company cars - even just say 10 - thats £500 p/m for not very much work, and obviously doing more than 1 car in a sitting reduces time and money.

After seeing that video of that guy charging £5000 for his full service, I think that many of us could offer a very similar service (cosmetically at least- which is what most customers seem to care about) for a fraction of the cost whilst still making a very tidy sum, even just part time.

Ever considered this sort of enterprise?

106 GTi
I dont think I could do it full time, enjoy my day job for one to much, and think I would lose the passion I have.

I charge 30-50 quid for a Machine Polish, Wash, 2 stage machine Polish and Sealant or Wax.

For the full valet like you list, or that with a machine polish all the way up to a Full Show Level Detail then I price it per detail.

Mito Sportiva 135
Me neither - working in marketing for BMW has a better ring to it than car detailing - but still after having worked in the car industry for 5 years, and having spoken to many prestige car owners I have identified a massive demand without even looking. There seems a real opportunity to cater for these people - who are more than happy to hand over a few hundred pounds to maintain and protect their pride and joy, which to many affluent people is an investment which they wish to protect.

Don't get me wrong - I am in no way considering jacking in my professional or academic pursuits to "clean cars" - but I am always ready to pounce on money making opportunities. This seems like an ideal bunsen burner, for weekends or evenings.

For example, my friend's Dad is offering £50 for said shampoo, light polish windows and tyre dressing (which requires very little skill and is relatively quick) on his XKR. If someone is offering that without me even leaving my house, imagine how much is to be had for more extensive treatments... it's not rocket science!

Fair enough, if detailing is simply a hobby of yours and you are satisfied with that, but you seem to have a sound understanding of both detailing products and materials which could be used for the greater good - and make a tidy profit doing so.

106 GTi
When the opportunitys arise to make some decent money I take them, but most of the time doing jobs for friends or fellow club memebers I would rahter just make a bit of beer money and do a job for a good price.

Mito Sportiva 135
Ah the heart of a true enthusiast! But aim higher my friend, if people are willing to pay more wouldn't you rather you did a good job on it rather than those cowboys who spend ages on a car but have no real understanding of the molecular composition of paints?!?!