ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternative to usual ISPs?

Hi folks,
A member of my family has just bought a flat in Bath. Setting them up with internet, it's become clear that the usual suspects either cannot deliver or provide a very low MB/S speed.
Sky - 4-6
Virgin - no go
Zen - 5
Vodafone - 4-7
etc
Rightmove seems to suggest we could get 60mbps but not a clue where that has come from.
Next option I presume is mobile data dongle attached to the laptop. However, is it possible to then tether a smart TV to this?

Thanks in advance.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Data dongle?

Why would you not just got a mobile hotspot device?

Data dongle is pretty much tech from about 2005?

Rowan - Mortgage Expert

ClioSport Trader
  Audi SQ5
I'm aware this isn't an overly helpful response but some areas in Bath have terrible internet connections/options, I lived there for 6 years in various different areas, during and after Uni.
Talk Talk delivered about 5mbps from memory back in circa 2012, I did get Virgin at one address and that was better, you haven't mentioned BT but given they all use Openreach lines I would imagine they'd be the same. Same for other providers like Utility Warehouse for example.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Hi folks,
A member of my family has just bought a flat in Bath. Setting them up with internet, it's become clear that the usual suspects either cannot deliver or provide a very low MB/S speed.
Sky - 4-6
Virgin - no go
Zen - 5
Vodafone - 4-7
etc
Rightmove seems to suggest we could get 60mbps but not a clue where that has come from.
Next option I presume is mobile data dongle attached to the laptop. However, is it possible to then tether a smart TV to this?

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked BT?? (or whoever operated the previous owners internet??)

When we last moved no-one could offer more than 2mbps, but BT could offer 50.
Reason was the local cabinet was oversubscribed for Fibre, the only way to get Fibre was to take over another persons line (we took over the line for the previous residents)

Since the line was previously BT only they would allow us to take over the line.

Have you checked BT?? (or whoever operated the previous owners internet??)

When we last moved no-one could offer more than 2mbps, but BT could offer 50.
Reason was the local cabinet was oversubscribed for Fibre, the only way to get Fibre was to take over another persons line (we took over the line for the previous residents)

Since the line was previously BT only they would allow us to take over the line.
I did indeed. Now rocking a Vodafone mobile wifi unit which is working nicely.