ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator question (someone must know)

I have a mk1 ph1 1.4RT, currently all things lead to my alternator having given up the ghost. So need a new one, however I have a big system in my car which is easily drawing more than the current alternator, so I want an more powerful one. I currently have a 60amp one according to a website I found.

What I need to know is do either of these two alternators fit preferably the 90 amp one?
__________________________Amp
Clio 1.4________1390 1990-96 60 A397 Mine
Cllo 1.2________1171 1990-96 75 B321
Clio 1.9D (PS)__1870 06/90-96 90 A933

Someone on here must know? Any help or useful information would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks

played with clio cup
hi clio devil,tricky on even for me (tecky)id go for the diesel one as the output will be better-plus put a diesel battery on it cos itll hold the ampage better.
hope that helps

put a big ampage diesel transit battery in there, it fits as i did it to my valver, never had a problem again

Clio 1.8 16v
I'm not too sure of the diesel one will fit to be honest. I think the mounts are different? Are you sure the 1.2 one is more power than the 1.4 one. Doesn't make much sense to me really.
But anyway deff get a diesel battery, or if you have some money get yourself a deep cycle yellow top or something, designed for ICE.
Chris

Hi,

Ben J, what spec was the transit battery you put in? and how much did it cost?

I currently have an upgraded bosch silver top designed for a diesel so more power, currently the system draws more current than the alt can supply therefore keeps draining the battery and I believe damaging it. I have a yellow top battery sitting at home but don't want to put it in as it is expensive and don't want to damage it.

The other night i was on an 80 mile journey, stereo on quietly, sub off (where main current draw is) turned stereo off when 20 miles from home. Got home battery was sitting at 12.5V with engine off, so pretty sure I need a new alternator anyway, so would like to upgrade if poss, but it seems impossible to find out whether the diesel one for instance has the same mounts.

Damn I've been going on above, it just because want to pick one up from scrapyard as can't really afford a new one, £75-100 is too much.