ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amp cutting out when turned up

145db Euro'd clio
right, now i know my audio pretty well, but this has baffeled me. got a new amp for xmas, i have wired it up correctly, has a distubution block running both amps, my new amp is a 2000watt mono block amp to run my sub, now, it is grounded perfectly, i have grounded it to the rear light holding screw thing after cleaning it up really well with wet or dry etc. remote is running off the other amp. the amp turns on and everything, if i turn the amp up a bit, not even loud sometimes, then it cuts out, but if you wait about 3 seconds, it comes back on, then will cut out again say about.... 10 seconds later.
the only thing that confuses me with this amp is thatb the speaer terminals are like this

+ - + -

now do i wire them to '1 channel' or 'bridged to both' now i know there isnt one channel as such as it is a mono block but i dont understand, is this like the 4 ohm and 2 ohm running things. the amp is 1 ohm stable if this has anything to do with it. subsonic and phase dials on the amp as well. anything to do with it???

please let me know as its totally confused me.

BMW M135i
Whats the gain set to? Is it clipping and pushing it into protection hence it cutting out?

In my experience when you get an amp to bridged (usually 2 channel though?) you wire the out to the to two outside positive and negative connections.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
are you running a dvc sub? if so is it wired up correctly and not at say 0.5 ohm? when the amp cuts out does it go into protection mode?

vaux cavalier
right, now i know my audio pretty well, but this has baffeled me.

OK, no need for dumbing down responses then....
now, it is grounded perfectly, i have grounded it to the rear light holding screw thing after cleaning it up really well with wet or dry etc.

So you've earthed your amplifier to a poor earth site.... Earth to a point on the chassis, select a point which allows the best return path to your battery.. Panel joins filled with caulking & welds will promote higher resistance..

remote is running off the other amp.

Thats fine....

the amp turns on and everything, if i turn the amp up a bit, not even loud sometimes, then it cuts out, but if you wait about 3 seconds, it comes back on, then will cut out again say about.... 10 seconds later.

Main culprits for these symptoms; (amplifier tripping into 'protection')

Poor earthing, (which you have)...
Loose or poor connection...
Incorrectly set gain control, (too high)...
Incorrect power supply cable, (inducing voltage drop)...
Speaker Impedance too low...
the only thing that confuses me with this amp is thatb the speaer terminals are like this

+ - + -

now do i wire them to '1 channel' or 'bridged to both' now i know there isnt one channel as such as it is a mono block but i dont understand, is this like the 4 ohm and 2 ohm running things. the amp is 1 ohm stable if this has anything to do with it.

Your using a 'MONO' block amplifier mate, that tells you its a single channel amplifier... The speaker terminals simply allow easy connection of multiple subs or even connection of individual voice coils... 'Bridging' these terminals will yield no increase in output...

subsonic and phase dials on the amp as well. anything to do with it???

In a word, 'NO'...

The Subsonic Filter operates in a similar way to a 'HPF', it limits power sent to the sub below an enclosures tuning point, driving a sub below an enclosures tuning point can promote over excursion of the cone, (not good)...

The Phase adjustment merely allows you to alter the subs timing, some phase switches merely have 2 positions, 0' & 180'... Others will allow a setting anywhere between....

A speaker receives voltage through both terminals, positive voltage through the +ve terminal & negative voltage through the -ve terminal... When the 'Phase' is set at 0' & the speaker receives positive voltage the cone is pushed outward, if the 'Phase' is then set at 180' the same voltage will result in the speaker cone being pulled inwards...

So at 0' the cone fires outward, at 180' the cone fires inward, at any point between it alters the timing of peak excursion....

please let me know as its totally confused me.

Please see first quote....

145db Euro'd clio
thank you wallop for the reply.
now i have earthed it properly (seat belt bolt)
all connections are tight.

you said voltage drop... im running the power cable off a distubution block, couls this be the problem?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Depends what cable you are running and the quality of the cable and connections.
I'm running 2 amps (Vibe Slick A7 + Alpine V12 MV550) and a power cap from a distribution block, all individually earthed to seat belt bolts, but to power it all I've got 1000w rms rated low resistance oxygen free silver cabling and gold connectors.

Cable with crap on the bare ends or thats been badly hacked can increase resistance, which inturn won't deliver the power the amp(s) needs effieciently and can cause it to shut off.

From my own experience and from seeing others handy work, 9/10 times this sort of thing is caused by shoddy cables or connections, or even better, unecessary connections and extensions in shoddy cables.

Other things to check have already been mentioned, so there's no need to go into them again.