ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amp Power

Clio V6 255

I am looking to purchase quite a powerful Pioneer Amp, does anybody know how powerful you can go before the alternator cannot handle the wattage and you need a in-line capacitor?

silver valver/hybrid

on my 16v i have a mono 1200w amp and i definately need a cap, cus the lights dim with the bass and sound quality deteriates after a while. I would say anything over a good 600w amp could do with a cap if you play your music loud all the time.

Put in a hugr battery befor a cap. You can get monster things for around £50. That should help loads. Caps are a last resort when you should really be putting in a bigger altinator!!

I decided to fit a Lightning Audio 1-farad cap in my system, even though I only use one 600W amp, because I was getting a little light dimming and distortion from the amp when cranked and I wanted to crisp things up a bit. However, the cap made absolutely bugger all difference - a complete waste of £150 - so I sold it and I wouldnt recommend a cap at all. Better with a yellow-top battery, or just a heavy duty main battery.

silver valver/hybrid

you have to be careful choosing a cap. i think most 1 farad caps are used for amps up to 500w, and 1.5 farad caps are used up to 1000w and so on..

A cap is essential when running a demanding subwoofer, if you listen to music loud and the subwoofer is either a difficult load/small box/inefficient then a cap will be very necessary indeed as it can store enough power to supply the amp when the resistance drops... in most modest systems, they really arent needed. When you start talking about a "500w amp" this means sh*t to be honest, a 500w Boss amp is nothing compared to a 500w Phoenix Gold amp - though they ahve one thing in common neither deliver 500w!!!

As for your system, you should calculate the amount of current yur amp will draw (should be in the manual for a Pioneer) and compare it to the alternator in the car....of the amp draws more than the alternator gives, you ahve a problem, a split charge system with a battery in the boot is the best way, and (see above) possibly a cap. I would have thought that most standard alternators could handle anything a Pioneer can throw at it...I used to run 3 Rockford Punch amps from my Rover and they worked fine....