ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AMP, Sudden Death

Clio 197

evening ICE Gurus,

Ive wired in my AMP, which was always working perfectly in my previous car.

The REM and Phono cables are sound.

The volume coming out of it is extremely low, and I was wondering whether thats because my Eatrh Wire is dodgy: ie, the connection isnt as good as it could be?

So could it be the earth, or is an earth and earth no matter how good/bad the connection is?

Skoda Fabia vRS

an earth is one of the most important connections on an amp

99% of amp problems in my experience are because of a crap earth, jus because the amp is working doesnt mean the earth is good enough

you sure you dont jus have the gain turned really low ?

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by iPap on 15 March 2005Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 15 March 2005you want to hope that you havent fudged the earth in the h/uUnlikely.
very likely

if your rca ground is a lower resistance then the ground going to your amp you will have a large amount of current trying to find its way to earth

[Edited by Dink on 3/15/2005 12:45:13 AM]

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 15 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by iPap on 15 March 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 15 March 2005you want to hope that you havent fudged the earth in the h/u
Unlikely.

very likely

if your rca ground is a lower resistance then the ground going to your amp you will have a large amount of current trying to find its way to earth

[Edited by Dink on 3/15/2005 12:45:13 AM]
Arh, I see your point!

I wouldnt connect the RCAs until I had powered the system, therefore I would be content it was working. Also I would earth it properly in the first place! lol

Clio 197

Thanks guys!

Yup, the gain is set to Max.

When I earthed it in the first place, I was in a bit of a hurry, and so I didnt pay much attention to it.

I dont think I scraped off enough paint for it to be a proper earth. That said, it powered up, so I assumed it was working properly.... :confused:

Is there any kind of gel/paste I can use to ensure a good connection, or could I solder it to the bodywork?

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive tried soldering before and its never worked for some reason

dont have the gain on max its no good for the amp

Black Clio 182

what so if the earch wire isnt brilliant then it can stop as much power going to the amp? i have put each earth wire on mine to that bolt that holds down that big plastic thing in the boot behind the seats. i didnt bother to scrape any paint off or anything. does that make my amps not as powerful then?

Black Clio 182

thats what i fort, was just reading this and it seemed like people were saying cuz the connection ent great then there wont be as much power. thought i could get more outta my amps then lol ;)