ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amp Wiring....

No wheels :(
Hi all,

I'm about to upgrade my front components, Alpine Type X with a complimenting amp...

Also, installing a rear 12" Alpine Type R Sub, with Alpine PDX 1.600 amp.

So far I've installed 2 RCA cables down the drivers side and the remote cable along with it.

A 4 AWG Gauge power cable to the rear down the passenger side.

Do I need an additional power cable for both amps? Or shall I just divide it into two for each amp? 4 gauge would give plenty of power to the sub and amp but would it become compromised splitting it for both amps?

I ordered a 2 amp wiring kit and it came with loads of terminals and connectors, however doesn't look like I can use them all/ need them all?

This is the wiring kit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....661810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1008wt_974

Any help would be great guys.

Thanks, Sam
Any ideas?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
You should just need

HTML:
   Battery
       ¦
     FUSE
       ¦
       ¦ (4awg)
       ¦
Connecting block
  ¦           ¦ 
  ¦  (8awg)   ¦ 
  ¦           ¦ 
AMP1        Amp2
  ¦           ¦ 
  ¦  (8awg)   ¦ 
  ¦           ¦ 
EARTH        EARTH

or
HTML:
   Battery
       ¦
      FUSE
       ¦
       ¦ (4awg)
       ¦
Connecting block
  ¦           ¦ 
  ¦  (8awg)   ¦ 
  ¦           ¦ 
AMP1        Amp2
  ¦           ¦ 
  ¦  (8awg)   ¦ 
  ¦           ¦ 
Connecting block
       ¦
       ¦ (4awg)
       ¦
    EARTH

Just make sure you earth the both well, thats the key to a good circuit.

Last edited:
  No wheels :(
Just been using this system for my amp so far, it seems to be cutting out at high volume...

I've searched this it seems the 8awg cable isn't providing the amp with enough power. So I've taken out the connecting block and supplied the 4awg directly to the amp and it's performing much better!

However if it's like this, would I need another power cable to the other amp for the comps?

Help please!

Thanks, Sam

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
well you can pull 100A down a 4 awg and the amp you have got at the mo is pulling about 60A so you have got a little room left

just put a bigger fuse in the fuse block you had on the end of the 4 awg and then run 4 to the amp now then a 8 to the other amp

Mk3 clio 1.5
make sure the frequency is tuned on the amp correctly as this can also lead to cutting out. I had a 2 amp set up, and just ran a 4awg down each side and earth'd each one to each side of the seats mounting points.

Monaro VXR
Two amps running from 4AWG can work ok.

Thing is not all 4AWG cable is equal, even though it should be. Some of the cheaper stuff, they just seem to add a slight increase to the copper and add loads of insulation.

If the amps get hot and cut out, then come back on after cooling down. That is typically down to, too small a power cable being used.