ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

amped rear coaxials

Megane 225 F1
i am going to get some new speakers for my car. gettins some alpine front components which i know are fine with the amp i want to get. the amp is 1 of the new small alpine amps. 4 channels 100w rms per channel 200watts max. now heres the problem. i want to get some coaxials for the rear of the car but they are all 50watts rms and 200watts max. will the blow with the 100w rms from the amp or will they be fine? dont wanna get it all and then blow them so just making sure.

cheers

Mk2 Clio dci
if you just run the rear coaxials off the headunit they'll be good enough and sound fine, keep the amp just for the fronts to get the best out of them.

1.2 Clio
You can use that amp for powering your rears. Just go real easy on the gains thats all. Keep low as possible! And check out for distortion! Should be fine if turned low enough though...

"Navy" N17 TWO
if you just run the rear coaxials off the headunit they'll be good enough and sound fine, keep the amp just for the fronts to get the best out of them.

Go with that!
Why people want anything but the "Bang Bang Bang" bits in the rear is beyond me :eek:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Personally, I would run them off the head unit and bridge the power of the 4 channel amp to send more power to the front componants.

However, IF you are careful with your gains you should be ok sending them 100wrms. Id imagine thats alpine quoting at 14.4v, Which with stock power set up in a Clio, I doubt ou will be getting anyway, So will be more like 70-80wrms.

Megane 225 F1
ahh that makes sense. i would bridge them to the componants but this would be too much power for them. mite leave the 2 channels spare. cheers 4 the help. once these speakers are sorted out its time for the big bad sub and amp ;)

Megane 225 F1
Go with that!
Why people want anything but the "Bang Bang Bang" bits in the rear is beyond me :eek:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

just seen what you meant by the arrows. what is the point in the sub being upside down? always wondered this

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I agree with running the rears off the HU. I hate having too much sound from them too, my last car only had fronts and a Sub, sounded great. So I have most of my music faded to the front.

IMO, rears via HU, 2 x 100W to fronts, bridge the remaining 2 channels to a sub.

Megane 225 F1
dont need 2 bridge the other 2 channels to the sub cus i already have a sub and amp from my old car

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Then you're sorted mate! Waiting to get my sub into the 172, missing it dearly :(

1.2 Clio
what is the point in the sub being upside down? always wondered this
It makes very little difference in the way of output. SQ or SPL. However it frees more box volume. Resulting in a smoother lower end, if ported. Or a slightly slower roll off, if sealed.
Mainly done for looks mate ;)

Megane 225 F1
it does look good but it wud do my head in. wouldnt be able to put anything in the boot. not even my gf when she hasnt behaved her self ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Then you're sorted mate! Waiting to get my sub into the 172, missing it dearly :(

Tell me about it! :rolleyes: I miss mine too!

It makes very little difference in the way of output. SQ or SPL. However it frees more box volume. Resulting in a smoother lower end, if ported. Or a slightly slower roll off, if sealed.
Mainly done for looks mate ;)

I had my sub enclosure built so the sub can sit either way, arse-in or arse-out lol :)
It's arse-out (magnet out) as there is a lot of detail on the Focal magnets so it looks nicer, the bass would be slightly tighter if it was arse-in

it does look good but it wud do my head in. wouldnt be able to put anything in the boot. not even my gf when she hasnt behaved her self ;)

Get her a bus ticket lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i have jbl components in the front 70wrms
and coax in the back (about) 50-60wrms,
all run off a jbl amp 105wrms per channel,
never sets a foot out of line as long as you take it into oconsideration when setting them up,
this way i can turn the amp in the headunit off,
on cheaper headunits the built in amps are going to be built with size and value in mind, didnt see the point in using it when i had a much better quality amp in the boot.

plus the amp on my very old headunit (jvc avx1) was getting abit ropey,

also just a not, if you are planning on mounting your sub in reverse, make sure you flip the phase of it too, basucally put the + on the amp to the - on the sub, this will stop phase cancelation.

vaux cavalier
With regards running rear speakers....

If you want sound from all directions then go for it mate, you need to remember it's your system for your enjoyment, not anyone else's....

If running rear speakers, it's always wiser to use an external amplifier as this allows greater scope with regards volume control & crossover points, this added flexibility will enable you to integrate the rears much better than is possible with most head units....

With regards inverted subs/speakers....

As previously stated, this is done for a few reasons, (shallow enclosures, looks etc etc), but in some cases, or rather with some subs, you can pick up audible motor noise or chuffing from the pole vent....

With regards Amplifier & Speaker matching....

An Amplifier capable of delivering 100w rms per channel will only deliver that power whilst playing a 0dB tone at the correct power supply voltage, (usually 14.4v)....

Music can't be recorded at anywhere near 0dB, so your Amplifier will never achieve full rated power whilst playing music, (a fair assumption would be approx 50% power on music)....

The Amplifier will also struggle voltage wise, very rare to achieve 14.4v inside an amp....

You can then add impedance rise due to variables such as heat, speaker cable length & guage, enclosure type & size.....Getting too complicated now, will just say your proposed matching will be fine.....

Megane 225 F1
nope that actually made sense. u should be a teacher becasue unlike my physics teacher, i understood u!!! :)

cheers im guna see what it sounds like without the rears being amped first and if i feel i want it to sound better il jus amp it up