ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

An easy guide to subnetting?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Has anyone got any suggestions or advice for getting my head around 'subnetting 101'?

The more I read on the internet, the more confused about it I'm becoming. Some stuff even appears to contradict what other websites are saying. The subnetting section within the official Cisco CCNA course book is ridiculously over-complicated - something that I've been told by several people, including two lecturers. Indeed, I gave up on that section as it totally lost me.

Just getting frustrated with it now. Normally I'm getting just one or two marks wrong in the individual assessments, but the one I took this evening, I got a woeful 26 out of 40.

I'm actually more stumped with the whole topic this evening than I was six months ago. How can you read into a topic and get increasingly worse at it - lol?!

​Cheers,
D.

BMW F21 125d
See if you can get hold of the CBT Nugget Videos that Jeremy made. He's a legend and has 3 or 4 videos on submitting. It really sunk in with me once I'd watched his videos, followed his examples and done a few test questions.

His CCNA vids are awesome, as are his NP ones. If you send me a memory stick I'll copy them over for you & post back.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I feel your pain dude, I feel it.

Numbers aren't my strong point to begin with. But subnetting really seems haphazard to me - like there was little thought put into how and why rules are in place. Why was 127 picked as a loop-back address? Borrowing bits from the host section, etc? Just all seems really chaotic - and unless you spend every day sat amongst decimal dotted numbers, it makes it bloody hard to learn.

See if you can get hold of the CBT Nugget Videos that Jeremy made. He's a legend and has 3 or 4 videos on submitting. It really sunk in with me once I'd watched his videos, followed his examples and done a few test questions.

His CCNA vids are awesome, as are his NP ones. If you send me a memory stick I'll copy them over for you & post back.

I've heard about those - they are supposed to be very good. PM me your address and I'll get a stick sent over, if you don't mind?

Cheers,
​D.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I know subnetting (and my method probably won't make any sense to you) but I'm kinda glad that I'm moving away from networking now.

Not that I've really had to use my knowledge outside of an exam environment. The internet exists for a reason.

Clio MK2 1.2 16v
I don't see the problem with subnetting or I must be a genius at it? I made up my own method on how to do it which was unbelievably easy, but I've forgotten it!! I have to take my CCNA exam before the end of this month too - I'll have a look tomorrow and try to explain it to you.

Not a 320d
Yeah jeremy's subnetting videos are the best. i can re learn it in 10 mins thanks to him.

i find VLSM easier than Subnetting. its really not hard although it took me a day or two to really grasp it.

Rav4
See if you can get hold of the CBT Nugget Videos that Jeremy made. He's a legend and has 3 or 4 videos on submitting. It really sunk in with me once I'd watched his videos, followed his examples and done a few test questions. His CCNA vids are awesome, as are his NP ones. If you send me a memory stick I'll copy them over for you & post back.

How big are the videos? Happy to host them for people on here if required.

:)

Rav4
CCNA CBT just under 1Gb CCNP just under 7Gb

Quite big the 7GB.

How about I setup a plex server, and allow people with logins to check it out? :)

Alternatively, I will set up the files on a server at work, and allow for it to be download.

Or USB might be easiest as stated before I was trying to help out :)

BMW F21 125d
I've arranged with Darren now to send my copies to him. If there is a massive need for it then it could be an option.