ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Angle Sensors?!

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I love my Ph2 172, but more and more parts of getting harder to get hold of.

I had a right carry on trying to source an ABS sensor, likewise with the bulkhead brake pipe in the engine bay. Now it needs a steering angle sensor and I'm finding the same.
There are a few out there in the Renault family that look the same, but I can't imagine they'll be compatible will they? Even the Dacia Duster one looks like it could work.
There seem to be two. One which is square-ish and one that is round-ish. Great descriptions I know.

Is there any way round this if I can't find one? I don't care about cruise control or ESP or anything, but this SAS fault is giving me an ABS light and the associated troubles that come with that.
What can I actually do? To clarify, the sensor is reading -890000 degrees or something stupid like that. The value also doesn't change when you turn the wheel.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I suppose I am catastrophising. I just keep wondering if I'll have to bin the car off because I can't get some random bit.
I'll give them a try.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Bought a new sensor, fitted it. Haven't moved out of the garage but the code reader is still showing the steering angle sensor value as being -80something thousand degrees.
Is there something else that may be causing it? The number looks too close to what it was last time to be a coincidence...
All the ABS sensors are reading fine, no codes etc.
Getting on my tits now!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had a few issues with this. Thankfully my mechanic is an absolute legend with all things Renault and is on this very forum!

@lemonnobby - can you assist??

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Ah yes I did see that procedure last time I was fannying around. Turn 5 degrees etc?
Will try that.

Clio 182
Yes I've got an aftermarket wheel. I've had it all working previously though.
@JimF Sorry to drag this one up from 18 months ago! How did you get on in the end? My Steering angle sensor is also showing something aroun 81,000 and am looking for one at the moment. Be interested to see if something else fixed yours in the end, or if the new sensor just needed calibrating on CLIP.

Cheers.
Matt

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Basically I ended up starting again with a known good squid/indicator assembly & known good steering angle sensor, and touch wood, its worked.