ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

An Honest Opnion

Clio RS200 GW
Ok having owned my Clio 200 GW for nearly 4 years i am going to give an honest assement of my time with it. In a form of questions and no,s yes,s

1. Has it been worth it ? Yes and No
2. Is it value for money ? Yes
3. Is it expensive to run ? Yes
4. Is it a tough ride ? Yes
5. Does it have downsides ? Yes
6. Does it have goodsides ? Yes
7. Do componants fail ? Yes
8. Has it had a new gearbox ? Yes = £2354 renault dealer cost
9. Has it had air con problems ? Yes = Air Condensor replaced = £400 renault deal cost.
10. Would i buy another Clio Sport ? No
11. Would i but another renault ? No
13. Overall whats my opinion.

Well its been fun from new but has had relaibility problems the engine is fantastic the gearbox however is not if you own a 59 to 61 plate Clio 200 at some point there is a chance the gearbox will fail you, if you drive the car anywhere near to the how it should be driven. The engine is built for high revs and deserves to be driven like that at least once a week. If your on a budget this car is not a daily commute car it drink petrol average of 30 mpg and i dont care what anyone says no one is getting above 34 mpg in these cars unless your pushing it. There are week points as with anycar but for what i paid its a high spec car. I think with the new RS Renault has priced themselves way out of the super hatch bracket i mean £24000 for all the spec as to £16500 when i bought mine all specced up and the cup pack. There are better cars out their now and thats the way im heading Mercedes, Ford, Audi all have cars around the new RS price with way better build quality.

Basically its been fun but F---- expensive when i sit down and do the maths. Make your own mines up but im being honest ive driven one day in day out for nearly 4 years they are not cheap on parts and running costs are not cheap either unless your earning dont even think about it.

Adios goodbye Renault.

Last edited:

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
I don't agree about the gearbox, there is a chance of failure but not all would. Mine was a 60plate with many trackdays and the gearboxis still fine to this day with its second owner and has done 30k.

Clio RS200 GW
Ok having owned my Clio 200 GW for nearly 4 years i am going to give an honest assement of my time with it. In a form of questions and no,s yes,s

1. Has it been worth it ? Yes and No
2. Is it value for money ? Yes
3. Is it expensive to run ? Yes
4. Is it a tough ride ? Yes
5. Does it have downsides ? Yes
6. Does it have goodsides ? Yes
7. Do componants fail ? Yes
8. Has it had a new gearbox ? Yes = £2354 renault dealer cost
9. Has it had air con problems ? Yes = Air Condensor replaced = £400 renault deal cost.
10. Would i buy another Clio Sport ? No
11. Would i but another renault ? No
13. Overall whats my opinion.

Well its been fun from new but has had relaibility problems the engine is fantastic the gearbox however is not if you own a 59 to 61 plate Clio 200 at some point there is a chance the gearbox will fail you, if you drive the car anywhere near to the how it should be driven. The engine is built for high revs and deserves to be driven like that at least once a week. If your on a budget this car is not a daily commute car it drink petrol average of 30 mpg and i dont care what anyone says no one is getting above 34 mpg in these cars unless your pushing it. There are week points as with anycar but for what i paid its a high spec car. I think with the new RS Renault has priced themselves way out of the super hatch bracket i mean £24000 for all the spec as to £16500 when i bought mine all specced up and the cup pack. There are better cars out their now and thats the way im heading Mercedes, Ford, Audi all have cars around the new RS price with way better build quality.

Basically its been fun but F---- expensive when i sit down and do the maths. Make your own mines up but im being honest ive driven one day in day out for nearly 4 years they are not cheap on parts and running costs are not cheap either unless your earning dont even think about it.

Adios goodbye Renault.

Forgive the spelling mistakes im tired lol and it is my 12th night at work.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't say 30mpg was that bad - sure, it's not clever compared to the new Eco boost engines but 30mpg for a 200bhp ish na car isn't that bad. I don't think many people buy these cars for a comfortable economical commuting vehicle.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Exactly. CTR mpg. Yet that never gets a mention (other than by myself)

RB 200
MPG. whats that? ;) .. I can never understand the argument about poor MPG, you know what your going to get before you buy it, so why buy it anyway and moan?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think the reason the 197/200's mpg is slated is because its so closley compared to the 1*2's which are unbelievable in terms of performance per mpg!

In all honesty i bet its not that bad - just don't go from a 172 to a 200 and you'll be fine lol.

S4 Avant
30mpg isn't bad.

But I'm not surprised that you wouldn't buy another RenaultSport. They're capable cars, but a compromise between performance and cost vs build quality.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I wish mine done 30mpg, i never saw above 21mpg. That was over 13k miles.

I still stand by the opinion that the gearboxes dont stand up to lack of mechanical sympathy very well but use them well and the wont break, ive never had a box fail over 10 renaults and 200,000 miles!

I did however have a 200 engine failure at 2400 miles / 2 months old. Altho that was just a s**t engine from day 1 next one was much stronger although not fitted properly.

I wouldnt buy another new rs car for myself either due to dealers being rubbish, ruk being unhelpful and now the cars being mega expensive.

I considered a focus rs but they were too expensive to justify but looking at the cash they still hold, quality of dealers, and reliability it was definately the better way to go, should have!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As this is a now a MPG thread my new car "done" a 45mpg at a steady 100 today, cheers.

Hmm. I think 30 is semi reasonable if your commute is short.

I do a massive commute by most peoples standards. And after monthly budgeting I needed at least 32mpg on reg unleaded or 34 on super.

I reckon that the 200 would do that under my driving conditions.

Also I think servicing and parts are cheap for the performance you get. I would agree about component failure and build quality, but as a package I think they are hard to beat.

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Having gone from a Clio Trophy to a 200 my thinking is this...

My main issue with the 200 is, that for the performance you're getting the fuel economy isn't great.

Having said that, my car is 3.5 years old with 25k and on its original box. I also can't think of anything that I'd change it for that's similar money so I'm keeping it. + I didn't buy it for economy.

172 ph2
People moaning about MPG. Anybody would think these cars do 10 mpg! Theses arnt 500bhp super cars its a Clio with a sluggish 200bhp (at the very best) engine.

​If you want mpg buy a push bike or Peugeot 107