ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

An Integra Type R, Range Rover and Skoda Fabia VRS

Hullo!

Been a while. I've been moving house and had little to no time for photography in the last two months.

This weekend though, I had a couple of shoots for some mates.

Still getting to grips with my 6D as I've hardly used it, but here goes!

Range Rover Sport

10911879523_287af33f27_c.png

Range Rover Sport by Tom Cash, on Flickr

10911612156_8c1c8fcc28_c.png

Range Rover Sport by Tom Cash, on Flickr

One more here: http://www.tomcash.co.uk/range-rover-sport-autumn-2013

Skoda Fabia VRS

10911885153_d15b0a681c_c.png

Skoda Fabia VRS by Tom Cash, on Flickr

10911574495_47f7803507_c.png

Skoda Fabia VRS by Tom Cash, on Flickr

One more on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/itomcash/sets/72157637775988216

Honda Integra Type R (DC2)

10931705775_80ec8ac33d_c.png

Honda Integra DC2 Type R by Tom Cash, on Flickr

10931706475_fe806e1c56_c.png

Honda Integra DC2 Type R by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Some more here: http://www.tomcash.co.uk/honda-integra-dc2-type-r

The first two sets were in the beautiful, and dogger friendly, Cannock Chase. The final set was at Curborough Sprint Course, which we had hired out for the day for the shoot.

The second set is in B&W because the car wasn't the most clean and because the sky was sheer white with cloud and the threes were a dull shade of grey/green. I thought B&W was more powerful and highlighted the car a little more.

I'd be interested to hear peoples feedback and thoughts!

And yes, I need a CPL.......

Tom.

I like them, especially the first two cars.
Some good angles and the autumn colours look awesome.
My only criticism is that the last shot of the Honda makes me feel a bit sick due to the angle haha!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
You can do a lot more with the B&W images, I think the y look a tad flat.
Nice images though.

I like them, especially the first two cars.
Some good angles and the autumn colours look awesome.
My only criticism is that the last shot of the Honda makes me feel a bit sick due to the angle haha!
Thanks Ben!

I think, in retrospect, this weekend, I went a bit mental with the dutch angle. I didn't realise until afterwards, but now I regret it...

You can do a lot more with the B&W images, I think the y look a tad flat.
Nice images though.
Cheers man. B&W is a relatively new area to me. Any recommendations? I'm not overly happy with the set myself...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Great pics mate. :)

Please don't take my comments too harshly as I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination... but I feel a bit of processing could really make these pop a little more (maybe boosting the brighter levels a touch on the B&W but not so as to over expose?) I would have preferred a little more dynamic range in the darker areas and, given the beautifully warm and golden colours this time of year, I would have loved to have seen more of that warmth contrasting against the darker / steelier colour of the Range Rover. :) Obviously that's my preference and may not be to everyone's taste! Cracking pics though and I'd be more than happy if they were my own.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
As I said on Facebook I think the first one is fantastic! :)

With my 70-200 I like to shoot wide open all the way out at 200mm for car photos, it just creates a nice look such as in the first one which is obviously at a longer focal length. For any wider shots I go for another lens such as my 50mm or a wide angle, 70mm doesn’t look right somehow.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Some really nice pics there Tom.

You've put them in the order that I prefer. The mono ones need a bit of work, look pretty flat. Have a play with the levels in light room (if that's what you use) to bring something else out of them.
The range rover ones are really nice though.

Great pics mate. :)

Please don't take my comments too harshly as I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination... but I feel a bit of processing could really make these pop a little more (maybe boosting the brighter levels a touch on the B&W but not so as to over expose?) I would have preferred a little more dynamic range in the darker areas and, given the beautifully warm and golden colours this time of year, I would have loved to have seen more of that warmth contrasting against the darker / steelier colour of the Range Rover. :) Obviously that's my preference and may not be to everyone's taste! Cracking pics though and I'd be more than happy if they were my own.
I don't take that as harsh at all mate. I really appreciate it, thank you! I'd take 10 replies like that over 10 replies of "good pics!" any day. Thanks again.

As I said on Facebook I think the first one is fantastic! :)

With my 70-200 I like to shoot wide open all the way out at 200mm for car photos, it just creates a nice look such as in the first one which is obviously at a longer focal length. For any wider shots I go for another lens such as my 50mm or a wide angle, 70mm doesn’t look right somehow.
Cheers Niall! Thanks for the Flickr favs too - it's an honour. :D You're right though. I did most shots of the DC2 on the 50mm because we had the track to ourselves and there was no need to zoom. Equally, I love the quality and the DoF that the 70-200 provides when at 200mm whilst at 2.8. It's almost effortless to produce good shots with that lens. They say equipment isn't everything, but it certainly helps!

Some really nice pics there Tom.

You've put them in the order that I prefer. The mono ones need a bit of work, look pretty flat. Have a play with the levels in light room (if that's what you use) to bring something else out of them.
The range rover ones are really nice though.
Thanks Aaron. I also put them in the order I preferred lol! I use lightroom, yeah. I see what you're saying - thanks for your input.

I'll have a blast on LR tomorrow and see what I can produce with the DC2 shots to make them look a little more dynamic...

Thanks peeps!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I'm no a master by no stretch, but have a look at my B&W work....you will see why we are saying yours look flat.

Google Ansel Adams and look at the range of tones he exhibits.....he's the master.

My blog www.woodyx100.com

Thanks Dan!

I'm no a master by no stretch, but have a look at my B&W work....you will see why we are saying yours look flat.

Google Ansel Adams and look at the range of tones he exhibits.....he's the master.

My blog www.woodyx100.com
I'm familiar with your work Steve, but having had a good look at your work and the work of Ansel Adams, it's much more clear now when you say mine look flat.

I've had a 10 minute play with the contrast, shadows and highlights and knocked up a quick edit.

For those who said the originals lacked depth, I'd be sincerely interested to hear your thoughts on my revisions.

10952302835_7c0058f55c_c.png

IMG_5482-2 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

10952303315_14f4906ca5_c.png

IMG_5407-2 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

10952304205_51f5fd9b3a_c.png

IMG_5577-2 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

10952373746_54fbb46838_c.png

IMG_5542-2 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

10952305215_1f20eb4ab1_c.png

IMG_5513-2 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

My thought process followed the idea that the white was very over-powering, so to improve the depth/range, I darkened other areas.

Not sure if I've over done it though TBH.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
They do look better now. I'm only on phone though but will have a proper look tomorrow.
Maybe up the shadows a tad (the wheels seem very very dark) and slightly lower the highlights.

First one out of the bunch for me though :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
For those who said the originals lacked depth, I'd be sincerely interested to hear your thoughts on my revisions.
Quite subtle yet, to my tastes and eyes at least, much more pleasing to look at. As mentioned above, I think the blacks/shadows may need lifting a touch as the dark areas are a little too strong in places. I also prefer the first image with the 'Teg coming into the apex with the tree in the background. Nicely done. :)

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I really over-cooked the blacks. Looked at this thread on my phone at work earlier, the black patches are REALLY black... I'll tidy these up and repost 'em to Flickr soon. Thanks again peeps. :)