ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another rear light question

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Ok, so have unsusseccfully tried to remove the outer casing of the rear lights (tried to stanley knife the sealant and heat it up using a hairdryer...didn't fancy putting them in the oven) so am going to try tinting them.

Question is, can I tint the lights using the spray paint/ lacquer I have used for my colourcoding, or do I need to have proper "tinting spray"?

And if I can use my existing materials, do I need to primer, paint, lacquer, or do I just paint and lacquer?

Many thanks, Adam.

Chocolate Bar™
ideally, for road use. you need to buy the tinting film. you primed it etc. you wouldnt get any light through at all lol

one of my mates once cleaned the lights up with white spririt, sprayed them in just metallic black (no priming etc.) and then lacquered over. finish was mint, and it let a fair bit of light through - and his lasted well. however its prob not recommended lol

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Thanks for the quick reply Middo. Do you mean the tinting film thats used for windows yeah?

So am thinking a light smoke tint would probably look best on my lights on a hologram grey clio... or possibly spraying the areas of the cover which aren't affected by the lights, if that makes any sense what so ever!

Chocolate Bar™
if it were me i'd try the tinting spray first. if you bodge it halfords sell a tinting spray remover so u can try again.

not sure on the tinting film, as it would have to be applied properly to look good, but its an idea

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Ok mate, might give the tinting spray a bash first then.

What I was thinking about doing with the spray paint, was to colourcode the areas pointed at with the blue arrows...

Edited lights.JPG

If you look, the light bulbs are set back in recesses, and thought I might just paint the areas that don't cover the bulbs and the recess (clear as mud again, eh? lol)

What do you reckon?

Last edited:
  Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Been thinking about this and wondering if I do spray the areas highlighted above, will it end up looking like I've got those crappy light masks on?

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
lol, you should have said mate! Otherwise I could have ended up with them looking like a bag of sh*te!

Might tint the whole unit then I reckon. Do they do different shades of tinting spray or is it just a case of applying layers until you reach a suitable colour?

Chocolate Bar™
Adam_C said:
Might tint the whole unit then I reckon. Do they do different shades of tinting spray or is it just a case of applying layers until you reach a suitable colour?

you'll find you need to apply really thin layers to prevent bubbles and stuff (nasty stuff to work with if you spray it thick) but the more you spray the bolder the colour gets your spraying. if your just going to spray it with paint and lacquer it then nice even coats is the way to do it.

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Ok, thanks mate. One last question then (I think), if I use the paint that I've used for colourcoding, is there any way of removing it if I do the job and and it looks crap? You said you can remove the tinting spray easy enough though so might just try that first.

Really not sure what to do now! The girlfriend bought me the lights so I really don't want to change them, but think that they stick out a bit too much at the moment.

Chocolate Bar™
yeah im not a fan of the lexus clears, but tis a difficult one not to upset her lol

try the tinting spray first, then take it the bodyshop if needbe. you could only remove the spray before its lacquered using white spirit - but its not a pleasant job as it goes everywhere