ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another speaker post . . .

Clio 172
Hey people,

your all probably fed up with these speaker posts by now, but I need some advice cause I'm useless. :D

The speakers in my 172 (I'm guessing they're standard, not looked yet) are cruddy to say the least! I popped into Halfords tonight to enquire about an amp and possible sub, but the fella at the audio section told me it would be a nightmare to fit either in a 172 (something to do with removing the dash . . .) but he did advise me to buy some half price Pioneer door speeakers, as this would increase the sound massively.

What I want to know is, how much will the sound be improved, simply by swapping over the standard speakers to Pioneers?? I don't want a top notch sound, just a sound that delivers a good bottom, mid and high end . . .

All help is appreciated! ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Fit a decent head unit which has frequency cutting (High/Low Pass Filtering) .. and fit a small sub in the boot if you so desire (I would!).

Did this on my 172, cut the low heavy stuff to the front speakers, and the sound was transformed. The front components are pretty good when they're not struggling to do <200Hz.

Unless the pioneers are amped, which is a royal ballache, they'll sound barely any different to the ones now as I'm assuming you've got the standard Renault HU ?

Clio 172
Fit a decent head unit which has frequency cutting (High/Low Pass Filtering) .. and fit a small sub in the boot if you so desire (I would!).

Did this on my 172, cut the low heavy stuff to the front speakers, and the sound was transformed. The front components are pretty good when they're not struggling to do <200Hz.

Unless the pioneers are amped, which is a royal ballache, they'll sound barely any different to the ones now as I'm assuming you've got the standard Renault HU ?

Nah, I've got a Sony X-Plod thingy-ma-bob that was fitted just before I bought it. I've had Sony headunits in the past and they do the job really well in my opinion, some would disagree, but I think they're good especially if your on a budget.

So, do you think the Pioneers will improve the sound any through the Sony HU??

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Decent Alpine HU FTW. :D

Honestly, they may do, but it'll be so minimal it's not worth it. It's all down to the amp, which in this case is the one in the HU. Sony aren't amazing in my experience. High end Alpine or nowt IMO :eek:

Depends what sort of budget you're on ...

I got an £80 Fli 12" active Sub from Halfords (i wanted the 10" as it's smaller and punchier but they only did it in pink :dead:), threw the supplied wiring kit on the car and, voila :D

Clio 172
My budget isn't looking too healthy atm to be fair . . . looking to get this knocking sound sorted out first (think it's a mount that needs replacing).

After that, I'll be looking to get the sound system up to scratch! It works out to be £40 to replace the speakers in the front and back if I go for the Pioneers, I'll have a think over the next day or two . . . don't know how long I can cope with the awful sound though! I think the dude from Halfords has put me off where the amp and sub is concerned after telling me that the dash needs to come off, etc to wire them in . . . I'm hopeless with these things, so I'd need to have it fitted by them, which is £50ph and he said it'll take at least an hour!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Really, really, don't bother unless you're amping them. You still won't get great bass as they are 13cms !?

Yes the dash will have to come to pieces as the tweeters are in there...

If it was my car, I'd check the HU and see if you've got HPF/LPF. If it does, and it's bound to have at least one sub-out, chuck a sub in the boot, and sort the frequencies out so the front's aren't doing the low end stuff. See if you're happy with that.

Where are you based ?

Clio 172
I'm in Bedlington, just outside of Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Think I'll just save my pennies and get it done properly at some point, no point in doing a half assed job! I'm not the type to have subs sticking out everywhere, just want a nice sound that will deliver good bottom end.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Subs sticking out everywhere !?

If you wan't a job done properly, do it yourself ;) Chance of finding an expert in Halfords is slim, not impossible, but slim.