ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car speakers - Completely out of the game

F82 M4
Hey folks,

So I haven't had to buy car speakers for a very long time as I've just always stayed with stock audio. I've recently sold my car and currently rocking a MK4 GTI Anni. Needless to say the speakers are rubbish so I'm looking for a bit more oompf. I haven't been in the car audio game for about 14 years, so I have honestly no idea what speakers are good or not. I have a decent headunit and I'm not looking for subs or amps, just speakers.

I believe I'm after 16.5cm - component at the front with tweeters and coaxial at the back, is that correct? Also, I see some speakers come with little boxes that look like little amps. Wtf are they? I have no idea haha!

Budget £150 for everything really

Appreciate any help and recommendations :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I fitted some Focal speakers to a Ford yesterday. Straight forward plug and play and the fit and finish was superb. Sound awesome too.

I’d imagine there are plenty of kits for the Mk4 Golf, the most modified car in the world surely?? 😂

the little boxes are crossovers, so split the signal from mid driver to the tweeter. but if you fit standard sized replacements, you won’t need them as your car will already have them. They’ll be very old and dated though so if I was you, I’d buy complete replacements.

Front door speakers, crossovers, tweeters.

Rear door speakers.

if you can, fit a bit of sound deadening to the back of the door skin too. Will make a lot of difference and you’ll have the door panel off anyway I’d imagine.

F82 M4
I fitted some Focal speakers to a Ford yesterday. Straight forward plug and play and the fit and finish was superb. Sound awesome too.

I’d imagine there are plenty of kits for the Mk4 Golf, the most modified car in the world surely?? 😂

the little boxes are crossovers, so split the signal from mid driver to the tweeter. but if you fit standard sized replacements, you won’t need them as your car will already have them. They’ll be very old and dated though so if I was you, I’d buy complete replacements.

Front door speakers, crossovers, tweeters.

Rear door speakers.

if you can, fit a bit of sound deadening to the back of the door skin too. Will make a lot of difference and you’ll have the door panel off anyway I’d imagine.
Amazing mate, thanks so much for the reply!

Sweet, that all makes sense to me :) I'll check out some reviews on speakers and take it from there.

Appreciate the help pal

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Hey folks,

So I haven't had to buy car speakers for a very long time as I've just always stayed with stock audio. I've recently sold my car and currently rocking a MK4 GTI Anni. Needless to say the speakers are rubbish so I'm looking for a bit more oompf. I haven't been in the car audio game for about 14 years, so I have honestly no idea what speakers are good or not. I have a decent headunit and I'm not looking for subs or amps, just speakers.

I believe I'm after 16.5cm - component at the front with tweeters and coaxial at the back, is that correct? Also, I see some speakers come with little boxes that look like little amps. Wtf are they? I have no idea haha!

Budget £150 for everything really

Appreciate any help and recommendations :)

If you don't know what crossovers are then I'd say it's a whole lot more than 14 years since you left the 'game'! :p