ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anti piracy is going to far.

just found this on a site and have heard similer things a few other times.

New HD-DVDs or Blue-ray discs (whichever win eventually) will be street-encoded. You have to quote your street name while buying DVDs and they won't work in the next street. The hidden reason for this is that MPAA wants to charge upwards of $1000 per DVD for those living in million dollar mansions.

also found another one that said what ever dvd drive the disc is put into first to be played will be the only drive the disc can be played on. also players may have to be plugged into phone line to be able to work so that dvd player can verify the dvd or music cd is infact a real one and if its not you will get fine through post lol.

heh. Like any of that will ever take off (maybe the phone line thing I guess)

But the first idea is just stupid. What if you move house!? Do you have to leave all your dvds for the next person who moves in along with your DVD player? I don't think so...

Golf GTI 1.8T
exactly, that could never work and the pirates would just crack the coding straight away.

yeah see ya point with the first one lol. phone line one would be a little worrying. would be just like sky when ya box has to be plugged in to phone line. that would be a piss take.

you would think so with some of the stupid stuff they are doing with the vista OS and the lengths they are going to try and stop piracey.

i have a t2 extreme edition dvd and it is mastered to run @ 1600x1200 and looks wicked but problem is it has some stupidly tougth reigon protection and it wont play for s**t. thing that pisses me of is i bought the original dvd so that i wouldnt have any problems and the f**king thing wont play. just wish i went and bought the hacked copy of it now. and these companys wonder why people buy hacked versions. i beleave that reigon codeing on dvd players and pc's infact makes people by more copied dvd's than they would if there was no reigon codeing. pricks

MKIII 138
lost on DVD £25 more over here on region 2 than region 1 american and all it takes is a £80 region free player with a handset hack over here.

rip off brittian and controlling governmental bodies and corporations = no freedom of choice.

just like MP3 they will shoot themselves in the foot

its true the second bit of his post the first is just s**t

the discs can be locked to only play on one player ever and they will need net connections too to get the drm licences but it will end up been circumvented

the new copy protection will be a b**ch to live with but we will just have to get on with it :(

DVD Region Coding was the biggest f**k up the industry ever made. Rather than stop the hardcore importers from playing Region 1 (etc) DVDs, all it did was made Moe & Joe Tesco aware that they could buy foreign DVDs in the first place.

As for actual piracy, any countermeasure will always be cracked sooner or later. Dont forget that the current generation disks were meant to be 'impossible' to copy/rip - LMFAO

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
LOst was on retail at the car boot the other week for 8 quid.
If people are stupid enough to pay the prices then we will keep getting burnt at the till

ian

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
You have more freedom with a film if you download a copy of it than if you go out and buy a genuine copy.. and they wonder why piracy is growing ?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
You have more freedom with a film if you download a copy of it than if you go out and buy a genuine copy.. and they wonder why piracy is growing ?

As father and son....
As far as the first post goes do you want to tell me how this works for people using portable DVD players, laptops and who lend DVD's to friends and so forth (one of the reasons i even buy a film is to share it amongst my mates).

What a load of b****cks. Moan about something thats actually apparent such as how annoying Starforce copy protection is even if you've bought the f**king game.

hot shot the thing is you may not be able to lend blu ray disks etc to people the companys are fighting it out at the moment.
its the film companys that want the protection the drive makers dont want it as they know if people can copy stuff they will sell more drives

As father and son....
last i heard it was basically a done deal that Sony will be the new "standard" for the next gen DVD format and they make both drives and disks....and fund international movie production. Nice conflict of interest right there.

Regardless of whether or not i want to lend them to friends or whatever, if they truly aim to make discs machine specific they're going to cripple portable media markets. Companies simply dont want to do that, portable media is enormous right now and will continue to be so as long as people abandon this carpet bombing approach to piracy.

yes but the movie houses dont give a s**t :(

they want to make sure the dvd copyprotection fiasco doesnt happen again

also there is the ability that they can actually remotely dissable your ability to wtach certain discs and stop software working on your pc

say you bought a bit of software that had a license for a year they would actually able to stop the software working and also make it that the docs you created also wouldnt be able to be opened

basically that technology opens up a whole new world of rental options so youy could rent software or films and they would just stop working after your hire period

As father and son....
also there is the ability that they can actually remotely dissable your ability to wtach certain discs and stop software working on your pc

thats frightfully illegal. If the software has a built-in timeout fine. Shareware programs and demo programs etc all fine and legal. When you being remotely triggering things that starts treading over all sorts of legal lines. I wouldn't hold my breath if i were you mate

erm lol its all possible and the technology is already in the pc's they have already had the go ahead in the usa for doing it. im not saying it will happen im just saying its one of the things they are building in to it

have a read about Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

It could work in the exact same way that sky + works. i have to have my box plugged in to the phone line. i unplugged it by accident the other month and got a £40 fine. they can see what programs i have watched stop me from viewing certain programs and control sky box office as well. very simple idea but it works.

But like some people have said the copy protection and reigon protection on games and movies is so stupid that a person who buys a real version is worse of than the person who buys the copy of it. that just shouldnt be this way.

As father and son....
i know what TPM is, all im saying is for it to become a fundamental building block of media delivery systems it has a lot of hoops to jump through yet. I cant really see consumers standing for this, there will always be a market for easily transportable versions of films and games but the industry itself seems intent on crippling paying customers in an attempt to eradicate them. Its just irksome and tiring :(

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
bsimmer3000 said:
I unplugged it by accident the other month and got a £40 fine.

Seriously?

Can't believe they can do that :S I know having the box connected to the phone line is part of the interactive discount contract when you get a free digibox, but didn't think they could actually fine people.

well the way it works is iff you unplug it it allows you to watch iirc £40 of films sport etc then refuses to work again till you plug it in then it transmits all you have watched back to sky and a bill is produced

not sure about them charging you for just unpluging it tho

LY 182
I download a lot and buy it if I like it. The film industry doesn't need to start making new anti-piracy DVDs just stop making crap films!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Whatever these multi-nationals come up with some 12 yr old geek will create a program to sit on top of it and make it look like its at your house when really its down the road at your mates.
Ive been paying for a minimum package on sky now for 18 months.21 quid i think.But i have been having everything.Movie channel,box office,sports and even the full football and boxing when i want for free....
All down to a disgruntled sky employee who knows how to manipulate the signal comming into the receiver.
As has been said someone will by-pass the software in the end

ian

As father and son....
well if you're "up" on whats going around now copy protection wise its horrifically obvious that it's no longer as simple as swapping over an exe file. Starforce protection, the relatively annoying one, actually forces users to unplug optical drives from an IDE channel in an effort to stop it registering devices at certain bus addresses. Its annoying as hell and the current work around isn't even guaranteed to work 100% of the time. Even customers legitimately purchasing games these days are having trouble getting them to run. Bloody nightmare.

Megane Mk4
Nik said:
Seriously?

Can't believe they can do that :S I know having the box connected to the phone line is part of the interactive discount contract when you get a free digibox, but didn't think they could actually fine people.

The only time I've had my Ski-digi box connected is when they first came and installed it, I refuse to connect it to my phone line for 2 reasons.

1. Its sending back your viewing habits and to me thats spyware and one thing I HATE more than ever is spyware.
2. It interferes with my broadband connection even through the filters. The carrier signal is that strong from the box that is kicks my computer off-line eveytime it dialed out
These so called "updates" of software that they need to perform through the phoneline.. Why ?? they've got a perfectly good carrier signal through the sky dish and If they want to bill me for it, they can go right ahead but I aint paying any more for it, they can take it back first.
:rasp:

As for the New DVD formats.. Its true enough, people will just find ways around the technology and, the companys that provide us with hardware will ultimately open the encryptions up for everyone, prime example today is DVD burners, the big-wigs are crying out about copyright and the likes of and, companys are selling PCs with spec DVD burners in.
Utter madness if you ask me :D