ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anti virus software??

172 Ph1
Whats the best software to get? my mcafee has just run out, im looking at getting a different one but not sure which one. I want it to do everything firewall etc.. Was thinking about avg, any good?

Scirocco GT 2.0
BitDefender Total Security 2008 is absolutely brilliant! it does everything and is only about £30 for 3 PCs iirc

2008 Albi 197
Never gone wrong with AVG, the free one is just as good as any of the ones you pay for imo, been using it for years!

Scirocco GT 2.0
AVG isn't that good at all, I've tried it a couple of times and got so fed up with it interupting with everything and slowing the PC down I end up uninstalling it.

2008 Albi 197
AVG isn't that good at all, I've tried it a couple of times and got so fed up with it interupting with everything and slowing the PC down I end up uninstalling it.

A few people have said this but I've never had any issues whatsoever, don't even notice its running in the background

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
The new version is very much like this. Its a step backwards just like Norton and McCrappy.

Also AV such as CA is fantastic also, use that on a lot of corperate machines and servers.

172 Ph1
Hmmm maybe i should avoid avg if it slows down com. Going to have a look at kaspersky.

thanks for replies

Scirocco GT 2.0
helpfull link scotty, anyone got bitdefender? whats it like?

- Its very resource friendly (using less than 1MB of RAM on my PC at the mo)

- Once you have allowed your usual programs through the firewall it looks after itself!

- Anti-virus is very effective, but doesnt flag up every damn thing

- very easy to update/use

- you can schedule your PC to shutdown after scan which is very handy

- includes anti-spam and anti-spyware and a PC tune up facility (although i usually use ccleaner aswell)

just a all round winner really, i've used loads of AV software and i cant recommend this one more!

Better than yours. C*nt.
BitDefender isn't too bad - I've found Sophos better but for the money BitDefender really is a quality product.

Skoda Fabia vRS
id go Kaspersky, one of the few that can actually deal with things it finds, unlike stuff like AVG that finds things, and then cant do anything with it

McAfee is actually a pretty well featured package, if you hold off on renewal they will keep emailing you cheaper and cheaper prices

dont get Norton its too resource hungry

There is an issue with the latest AVG8 Free update.

Currently the update for AVG Free v8 is corrupted... you will have to wait for AVG Technologies to address the issue with the update.

The updates that your AVG currently have will still provide the protection it is setup to detect. In otherwords, just getting this update will not make your AVG Free ineffective and as soon as AVG Tech resolves the issue you will be able to update to the current virus definitions at that time.

Just in case anyone panics lol

Mitsubishi Colt
BitDefender isn't too bad - I've found Sophos better but for the money BitDefender really is a quality product.

Sophos is good but is only designed for Networks with servers to deploy updates

I'm part way through a rollout where I've specified internet updates in lieu of the individual sites being linked into our core network.... 100 of 150 sites done (about 2000 machines so far) and it's purring like a kitten. Even removes existing security software using the integrated Competitor Removal Tool (and where that doesn't work, Sophos make it work for us).

Also planned into the job an easy integration and migration to our Enterprise Console infrastructure once the new WAN links are in place to the core.

Same package I've used for these sites is also available to our staff as well, to allow them to use Sophos at home as we've packaged the installer in such a way that it's a self-extracting .EXE that does all the work for them.

So I'd say it prefers network installations, but with sufficient planning, testing and the correct scripting, it does a sterling job away from the core really.

BLACK GOLD 182
NOD32...used to use it but wasnt good at first with msn so i swapped it for few others then decided stuff it i'll av NOD32 back cos its the bets by far! doesnt use much to run it either

Mitsubishi Colt
Sophos is good but is only designed for Networks with servers to deploy updates

Works fine in standalone - they even let you download a standalone version.
You just put your Sophos download details as the primary source for updates..

Exactly! We used to do that for staff, but with the work we did that I mentioned above it was possible for us to effectively use the policies from our Enterprise Console, export those policies and integrate them into an .EXE, effectively creating a customised standalone version. Internet updates, application control, scanning options etc. all configured and ready to go. Took a day of hacking around and testing, but it was worth the work in the end.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
CA ITM (ie Computer Associates Intergrated Threat Management) in a corperate situation is great for roll outs over areas of the network and remote management. Customisable to the button it works well on our clients.

172 Ph1
Can i get bitdefender from pc world or do i have to download from the bitdefender site? Thanks