ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any 1 with 17s

Im lookin to get some nice fat 17s on me clio 1.4rt (99 - T plate)

Does anyone have 17s?

Do you know the correct offset?

I read that if you can get the offset correct then you will not have "rubbing"

Any ideas people????

Any help appreciated

:)

I know fred has ET37 (not correct), brings the wheel out a bit and he gets no scrubbing with a -60mm drop.

-Rob

ok thanks - now i know about the offset ......

what about the arches???

do u need arch work to run 17s????

(eventually the car will be lowered too! will this bring problems? will the arches need work then?)

thanks again all! :)

If the arches are the same as the 2002 models you wont have any problems at all. Id save up so you can get the springs done at the same time, or youll have an offroader!

mate - one tip i also have a 99 1.4RT and I put 17s on her with an offset of 40 and NASTY to drive would NOT have been in it!! the steering was SO light I got cramp in my arm driving it home and swiftly took em off the next day.

Standard wheels if you take em off ur motah (if you still got em) say the OS is 36 - but if putting alloys on Id put on 37 or 38 liek fred to minimise scrubbing - Id also be careful with that cos when I had the OS40 wheels on I couldnt even get my fingers in behind the wheel inbetween the shocks and the rim - and it scubbed like a biatch on full lock on the shocks!!

just my experience - 17s will zap speed and wreck handling on the RT - cos for some reason its VERY unlike any of the other clios in that respect!

hence why Ive just invested in a brand spanking new set of 16" OZ titans ;) and a set of springs ;) still got me fun in me clio!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

17 should fit on your car they may rub at the back

i have 16s with a 60mm drop no rubbing there

lol "scrubbed like a biatch"

Yeha but 17" wheels look so pimpin ;). Im really stumped whether to get 16 or 17" super turismos on my 1.4RT. Its decked as it is but awwwww man 17s. I could go for the 16" but i cant help thinkin ill be dissapointed even tho my handling and speed will be better.

Audi S3 225

I got 17s on my car a few days ago, and ive had nothing but trouble with my handling and steering etc. But.....they look soooooooo phat!! fuk the handling, everyone looks at my car :)))))))

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Jonesy on 06 February 2003

I got 17s on my car a few days ago, and ive had nothing but trouble with my handling and steering etc. But.....they look soooooooo phat!! fuk the handling, everyone looks at my car :)))))))
Jonesy

What do you mean about trouble with the handling?

I have had 17s on my Mk2 172 for about eight months and I cant tell the difference between the 16s and 17s!!

Audi S3 225

Omg really, then i gotta get it sorted, I thought that my car was meant to be like this, i figured that a small car like mine wasnt meant to have large 17s fitted.

I have the priblem of my car pulling to the side while accelarating and slowing down. Plus my steering wheel feels unsafe while driving at high speed. Its going in for service on Monday, will speak to reno, get them to sort it

BTW my cars only 1.4, u have 172 so probably wont be the same.

yeah m8 - a 172 has the power a puny RT like ours lacks - hence a bigger wheel surface will not have such an immense effect on handling, tracking, trackrod ends, overall speed...(tho Itll have knocked at least a few mph off ur top speed)

Best bet with an RT I found is 16s - in this day n age - 17s arent all that - and btw there AINT REALLLLLLLLY THAT much difference in size between 16s and 17s hence alot of ppl wouldnt notice the difference....

AND

with 16s youll still have ur fun, safe handling and what speed there is the same - not to mention SAFE!

theres not really anything you can do to fix the tramlining and dangerously light handling except to take the wheels off and replace em with smaller ones!!

as for ppl looking at ur car - well paint it some DAYGLO colour or put a big blonde in passenger seat - ppl will look!!!! hahahha while in my case I have the irish accent and am a big blonde ;) they know ma car anyway - cos I stand out like a sore thumb having an irish accent in scotland ;)