ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any Cisco dudes on here - re: Cisco Wireless Controllers?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

I would appreciate just some intro level discussion about the Cisco 2500 series wireless controller and using that with Cisco access points.

Basically, I'm looking into setting one up in a large property, with a Cisco access point being located in most of the rooms. I think the 15 access point limit would suffice, though I believe it's purely a software license to up it to 25, if needed?

Anyone had experiences of these - in setting them up or feedback of being good/crap? Also, I'm assuming the access points could also be used to support cordless phones in each room too - not just laptop devices, etc?

Cheers guys,
D.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Bonjour. We have a few of them (10 or so) controlling up to 20 APs each, which I'm sure is licensed. Setting them up is exactly the same as setting up an AP tbh, they aren't difficult if you're used to Cisco terminology.

We use them with 1242 AP's, no idea about connecting anything else to them as our phones are wired.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Ah - now then! :)

What do you get in terms of connection stability? Are they pretty good through the APs? What type of traffic do you normally have going through them? Basic data files or heavy-bandwidth stuff like streaming?

From a setup perspective, is it not much more involved than the wireless controller -> 24 port switch (PoE?) -> various deployed APs required?

Can the APs run off PoE as well? Ideally I'd just have CAT5 running to each AP, rather than having to mess about with mains power getting to them as well.

Cheers m8,

D.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
1) Seems fine
2) Yep
3) It's mostly just web browsing and email traffic, but I've tested HD streaming through them and that's fine too
4) That's pretty much it, as far as infrastructure goes
5) Ours do, because putting plug sockets into suspended ceilings is a pain in the arse

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
1) Seems fine
2) Yep
3) It's mostly just web browsing and email traffic, but I've tested HD streaming through them and that's fine too
4) That's pretty much it, as far as infrastructure goes
5) Ours do, because putting plug sockets into suspended ceilings is a pain in the arse

Great stuff - sounds nigh-on perfect. I'll look into getting some prices together then :)

D.

CLS320 with a D6
Unless you have the kit already or are committed to Cisco, I would certainly take a look at a Ruckus system

We were running a HP / Colubris set up and ended up ditching it in favour of Ruckus after one of our warehouses rack layouts was repositioned. Also ended up using less AP's and getting substantially better coverage, throughput and roaming. A child could also set it up

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you have the kit already or are committed to Cisco, I would certainly take a look at a Ruckus system

We were running a HP / Colubris set up and ended up ditching it in favour of Ruckus after one of our warehouses rack layouts was repositioned. Also ended up using less AP's and getting substantially better coverage, throughput and roaming. A child could also set it up

Interesting. I'll have a look at that too - cheers!

D.